Can read but can't write

Reaction score
I have just bought an Imac, 27" screen, etc. I plugged the external hard drive in, the one I used to use with my Windows PC, and it reads it no problem. I was able to transfer all my music and photos without a problem.

However, it won't let me copy anything to it. If I try to drag and drop from one window to another, it just tells me that I can't, with the grey no entry sign.

I am new to Macs, and so maybe I'm just not used to how it does things. Am I missing something, or is "can copy from but not copy to" a common thing to make me buy an Apple external drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You new iMac with Snow Leopard can read and copy from a drive formatted to NTFS (your external hard drive), however it can not write to it. What I generally recommend for new users like yourself, is to purchase software that will allow your new iMac to read and write to NTFS. The best available software is Paragon NTFS current cost is $19.95.

I do not recommend using the free MacFuse as it's still buggy and can cause file corruption. Snow Leopard also has the ability to read and write from NTFS but by default is not turned on. Since you're new to OS X, it's best to purchase the Paragon software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.