Using a wired router with Airport Extreme Base Station

Reaction score
I've had an Airport Extreme base station for some time now that's connected to the internet through my Cable Modem.

Also connected to the Airport is a wired ethernet switch that in turn is wired to 3 computers giving them access to the internet. My printer is only connected wirelessly to the Airport but all wired computers have no problem printing on it.

I just replaced the wired ethernet switch with a wired router instead with the lead from the Airport going into the router's Internet (WAN) port, and with the 3 computers connected to the other ports on the router (#1,2,3).

All computers are working fine as far as being connected to the internet is concerned, but they are no longer getting through to the printer.

How can I correct this, or do I need to go back to using a switch instead of the router.

The literature seems to say it's okay to connect the Airport (I know it's already a wireless router) to yet another router, or to a switch or computer, but in the router case I'm not getting through to the printer as I did when using the ethernet switch.

Thanks for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You now have two different subnets - and the computers are having a hard time seeing the printer, which resides on another subnet.

Why would you replace the switch with a router? You just made your network much more complex than it needs to be.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Def harder unless the new router can be set up in bridged mode so that the AE is still handling all DHCP duties.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.