Unable to Repair Disk -OS X10.4

Reaction score
My iMac running OS X10.4 began freezing up when using various apps, very slow on loading web pages, etc. Had to force reboot holding down power button.
Following advice on this Forum, I tried using disk utility (after booting from OS installation disk), but repeatedly unable to repair. Kept getting error message after attempts "The underlying task reported failure on exit". The errors noted in running the app were:
1. Incorrect # of thread records (4, 29561)
2. Invalid volume file count (should be 667,388 instead of 667,199)
3.The volume Mac HD needs to be repaired.

Also ran fsck -y with same results.

I have certain of my files backed up on external USB drive using Super Duper & recently backed up same to one of my PC's internal HD's using Crash Plan.

Since I hopefully can use those sources to restore my data. But what action do I need to take to repair the Mac HD? Reinstall OS ? or ...??

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best solution is to replace that hard drive and restore what you can from the backups you made. You'll need your original Tiger install DVD in order to partition and format the new drive and then reinstall OS X.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am asking this because I have little experience with Mac's, but could reformatting drive & reinstalling OS possible correct problem?

Replacing the drive in my wife's iMac seems alot more difficult than in a PC, which I have done before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am asking this because I have little experience with Mac's, but could reformatting drive & reinstalling OS possible correct problem?

You can always try...it certainly won't hurt anything. But if the hard drive is dead or dying...then it will need to be replaced.

Replacing the drive in my wife's iMac seems alot more difficult than in a PC, which I have done before.

Yes...replacing the hard drive on some iMac's is a bit of a project (some are worse than others)...but if the hard drive is dead...then replacing the hard drive is what must be done.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.