MacBook Pro always starts in safe mode

Reaction score
Hello All!
I am trying to help a friend. She spilt some water on her MacBook :eek: We took it apart and dried it all out, but every time we start it it starts in safe mode (without touching anything). Is it possible that the keyboard thinks we are pressing and holding the shift key?

Suggestions?

Please help! :) Thank you!

Ted

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Problems because of spills are unpredictable. It's very possible that the keyboard was damaged or even worse, something shorted out on the logic board below. (mother board) If the machine was on when she spilled the water on it, that makes it more likely that something shorted out.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you - but we run into numerous posts regarding spills in these forums and most do not have a happy ending. Probably best to take it on in to an Apple store and have them give her an estimate of repairs. That estimate could well approach the cost of a new machine. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.