Photographer considering the 13" Macbook Pro 2010

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a professional photographer and I need a really small laptop, I can not have anything bigger than a 13"! I am usually a PC user but well all my work mates and rivals are mac users and I like this idea of simplicity and the elegance of a mac. I was considering the 13" with the 2.66GHz CPU. Would that be good for smooth huge photo file opening, photoshop usage etc..? Also will I need to calibrate the screen? Can anyone comment on the screen? I will also go for 4GB of RAM and the default HDD and perhaps upgrade later on. (I am sort of broke right now, I spent £6000 on a new camera and £3000 worth in lenses!!!) :$

So a bit about me, I like to play the occasional game, EVE Online mainly. Playing SWTOR once it comes out would be nice too. I travel a lot due to my job which is why I need such a small beast. The battery life is very attractive to me! I will be editing pictures with the monks in Tibet or in a tent in the desert. Mobility is very important and so I can NOT go bigger than 13" because I like to travel light and need to have everything I need in my backpack when I go.

Thanks for your help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
i have a macbook pro late 2009 (the one over there <<<<<<) and i use photoshop cs4 all the time, it is a bit slow i just need more ram. so the mac you mentioned will work fine

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I can not have anything bigger than a 13"! I am usually a PC user but well all my work mates and rivals are mac users and I like this idea of simplicity and the elegance of a mac.

If you truly cannot have anything bigger than a 13" laptop...then that sort of makes it easy...since there are just:

- 1 MacBook model
- 2 MacBook Pro models
- 4 MacBook Air models

And if you don't like the MacBook Air (due to it's value, lack of upgradeability, or lack of a CD/DVD drive)...then that really narrows things down even further. Also be aware that there are two MacBook Air 11" models (so even smaller than 13").

HTH,

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is there a specific Windows PC notebook/laptop are you comparing against the 13" MBP? Cause there is a lot of those. >_>"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's mainly MBP 13" vs PC Laptop at this point.

What parameters are you using to make this decision?

If you're using the price of the computer as your decision point...then just end this thread now...and buy the Windows computer!;)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I really want a mac but well the graphic card is not so good so I want you guys to convince me to go mac anyway! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I'm not a pro photographer by any means, but I am an enthusiast and have done a lot of work with CS3 on my MBP. The original hardware in my MBP was 1 GB of RAM and 120 GB HD...I just recently upgraded and haven't given CS3 a real shot since.

With the original specs I was able to run CS3 and Adobe Bridge simultaneously without too much trouble. It took a few minutes to get both up, but once they were both running there was no lag.

Also will I need to calibrate the screen? Can anyone comment on the screen?

This is one thing where I've had a problem. I haven't bought any calibrating hardware or software, but from what I've read it's apparently difficult to calibrate the monitor on a MBP. At 13" that's not very much real-estate to do photo editing, and with a MBP if you change the viewing angle the colors can change slightly.

Of course this depends on your income and how much time you put into photography, but if I were a professional and it was my sole source of income I would also get a cinema display for the photo editing. Not only do you have more space to edit, but the colors will stay true with changes in the viewing angle.

OP
I
Reaction score
Well I can't really bring a huge laptop into the desert. I travel a lot and the laptop that I buy must be 'it' meaning I won't need a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Well I can't really bring a huge laptop into the desert. I travel a lot and the laptop that I buy must be 'it' meaning I won't need a desktop.
Oh...yeah lugging around a 27" cinema display would be a bit cumbersome! I was thinking you would be doing most of the editing at home and simply wanted to use the MBP for the occasional edit while on the road.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really want a mac but well the graphic card is not so good so I want you guys to convince me to go mac anyway! lol

Nope...not going to do it! We ran through one of these threads this past weekend...and the person ended up buying the Windows computer.

- You already said that you've always used Windows computers...and have not owned a Mac.
- You are probably already 90% convinced to buy the Windows computer.
- and you've already said that you think that the graphics hardware in the MacBook is not as good as you would like.

So there really is no point in "trying to convince you"...I think that you've already made up your mind!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So there really is no point in "trying to convince you"...I think that you've already made up your mind!;)

- Nick

I agree Nick. And we arnt here to convince you. We are here to give you all the knowledge we have for you to make a educated decision on said knowledge :)

Good luck in your purchase . . . .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree Nick. And we arnt here to convince you. We are here to give you all the knowledge we have for you to make a educated decision on said knowledge :)

Exactly the angle I'm coming from.:)

Ask questions...we attempt to give answers...maybe even give an opinion...but convincing someone to buy a Mac is really the individuals job.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm with Nick on this one. And wow, this is going to be the second time (as Nick has also stated) this week that someone is thinking about getting a Mac for all the wrong reasons.

As a photographer myself, there are two things which would have swayed me away from owning the MacBook Pro's that I do, for editing and traveling... One, is the MBP's beautiful glossy screen. Yes, it's gorgeous, but it's also inaccurate when dealing with color profiles. Only the 15" comes in a matte screen, and unless you want a product that looks totally different in print, from what you see on screen, the glossy is not the way to go.

Secondly, I would find it difficult to do real editing on a 13" monitor all the time. It's going to change your entire perspective. I understand about traveling and needing something lightweight, but honestly, the 15" isn't all that much heavier or bulky! I'd seriously consider that were I you.

Third, and more importantly, don't get a Mac just because your friends or rivals have one, that's really silly and very unprofessional. You use what streamlines your work flow the most, and in this case that's Windows! You're going to start learning an new OS, which is only going to slow you down, and you technically shouldn't have time for any of that if you're in the field.

But hey, if you really feel the need to dismiss logic, then by all means, get a Mac. They're great machines for sure. That said, should you get a Mac, you're NOT going to be happy with a baseline MacBook Pro. They're powerful machines, but if you're really data crunching, you'll need plenty of memory and a fast processor. Plus, that matte screen I mentioned wouldn't hurt.

I'm not out in the field these days, so I don't have any time constraints, and my late model 08' MBP handles CS5 and Lightroom 3 pretty well, though in general I try not to run them both simultaneously when editing larger tiffs and layers. I've got Aperture 3 as well, but I'm only trying it again as of late, to see if it's still the resource hog it was last year. Thus far, it seems to still be a big hoggish.

Last word: I wouldn't settle for anything less than the i5 Macbook Pro (the i7 would be better though) if I were you. I'd upgrade the HD to a 7200RPM model, purchase aftermarket memory (to increase to 8 gigs or more) and go for the Hi res anti-glare matte screen. If you're a professional, it's something you owe to yourself as an investment in for your career. Simple as that.

Otherwise, if it's money which is the problem, do yourself a favor and get a blazing fast Windows machine and stop dwelling on what "computers" your peers are using. It's your photography which matters, and the timely fashion in how it is delivered and presented. If you had said that you needed an application that was only available for OS X, then it would be logical for you to go that route, but we're talking about Photoshop, and maybe another program that is native to Windows, right?

Save your money and get an Windows machine IMO. Get new glass instead with the money saved!

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...wow, this is going to be the second time (as Nick has also stated) this week that someone is thinking about getting a Mac for all the wrong reasons.

Doug,

Great post!:)

Being a photographer, certainly adds a key perspective. I know that some of your points are just being brutally honest (which is the way I am sometimes)...but sometimes you have to use "tough love" to get through!;)

I think that in the end...folks that want to get a Mac (but don't have the STRONG reasons for doing it)...would be thanking us 1000 times over that they went with the $599 Windows laptop, rather than the $1500 Macintosh.

Hey...I want folks to switch to Mac's as much as the next Mac-User (if it's the right thing for them)!:) But I don't want them to purchase a $1500 Mac...then 2-4 weeks later post about negative experiences due to learning the new OS (Mac OS X), or upset because they spent so much money.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You're right Nick. But ya know, as I was thinking about the $$ side of it, it occurred to me that there's no way an Windows machine with the same or better specs (truly) is going to cost that much less than a Mac with the specs I listed.

The bigger issue is learning a new OS IMO. So perhaps I'm changing my tune a bit. I mentioned investment earlier, and either way, the OP should think about his next purchase as such. The words "cheaper" and "more affordable" shouldn't really be the basis upon which this purchase is made.

I also feel that a Mac (knowing this from having been a life long Windows user prior to owning my first Mac) is a much more solid and giving investment, in that it yields a better return for the initial cost, while a standard Windows machine (I don't know, perhaps Win 7 is changing things a bit here?) seems to offer less in the deal in terms of a return.

A Mac will always have a better resale value for one thing. Secondly, after going back to using a Win machine with Win 7, (friends, family) I'm still thoroughly unimpressed with where they've taken things, and feel it's generally a sloth of an experience vs. what OS X offers, as well as how the hardware on an Apple laptop is so well integrated with integral parts of said OS.

This is a very general outlook however, so the OP must look beyond that, and figure out whether or not all of these wonderful things are a benefit to his primary concerns, that being photography of course.

On one hand, I say stick with what is comfortable to you for now, so that you don't interrupt your work flow as you learn a new OS. On the other hand, I totally feel like you can and should "go for it", but only if you can do the right thing and make a solid investment. Even if you bought an Windows laptop, I'd still say don't get an 13" with a glossy screen. I'd also still say to load up on memory, a fast processor and an 7200 RPM HD.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right Nick. But ya know, as I was thinking about the $$ side of it, it occurred to me that there's no way an Windows machine with the same or better specs (truly) is going to cost that much less than a Mac with the specs I listed.

The bigger issue is learning a new OS IMO. So perhaps I'm changing my tune a bit. I mentioned investment earlier, and either way, the OP should think about his next purchase as such. The words "cheaper" and "more affordable" shouldn't really be the basis upon which this purchase is made.

Yeah...when I mentioned cost...I'm talking initial purchase price. Most folks asking this question (switching from Windows to Mac)...are usually looking at the initial purchase price only (and not the other items that we know contribute to the ongoing cost of owning a computer other than a Mac).

I did a quick visit to BestBuy.com...and of course I'm always "floored" when I see all the laptops that are available for under $500! I thought maybe there were at least a couple laptops in the $599-$699 range that would look somewhat comparable to a 13" MBP (the 13" display is a tough one). When I mentioned $1500 for a Macintosh laptop in a previous post...I'm thinking of the 13" 2.66mhz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

And I definitely agree...although I think that Mac OS X is very easy to use...to someone using it for the first time on their "main" computer...there is always (at least initially) a learning curve.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you for posting! Now I am 50% convinced to get a Mac and 50% convinced to get a PC! Haha

Your main concern seems to be the screen, can it be calibrated?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im not going to tell you what to buy, but i can definitely recommend the 13" for photo editing, but it does get pretty cramped on the screen sometimes.

performance wise it runs CS5 really well, ive never had a single problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for posting! Now I am 50% convinced to get a Mac and 50% convinced to get a PC! Haha

Your main concern seems to be the screen, can it be calibrated?

Technically, any good lcd can be "calibrated", but that isn't exactly the issue here. No matter how much you calibrate a glossy screen lcd, there will still be a bit of variance in terms of color saturation. Just the nature of the glossy screen is all...

This however, is not THE main concern, but if your work relies heavily on color management for the sake of printing and you need what you see to match up with what's coming out of the printer, that's something you really don't want to mess around with IMHO.

Color management is already a tricky thing to tackle, since there are so many variables involved (different OS's, different browsers, different LCD's etc etc) so it's important that you're able to duplicate the output on a consistent basis across various platforms and such.

All that aside though, yes, you can use something like Spyder Pro, Eye-One, X-Rite 1i etc to calibrate the MBP monitor, and it is certainly to your benefit to do so. I don't think you'd be sorry if you went for a Mac, I was only trying to make logical sense and not get you too far off track with what you are asking.

I'd personally NEVER go back to using Windows again, (so long as things with Apple remain the same in terms of OS development) and am glad that I had time to learn OS X. My only concern for you is whether or not you'll have the time to learn as I did, while working out there. Yes, you'll have the advantage of confining your time to familiar programs such as PS and whatever other piece of software you use for Data Assessment management, but I doubt you won't let curiosity get to you, and hope it doesn't get frustrating, making you lose site of your work, that's all...

I have nothing but confidence in the fact that if you remain open minded, you'll absolutely love using a MacBook Pro for photo editing and in general. That said, just please consider all that I've said with regards to not skimping on the good stuff. I LOVE the matte screen, and 15" is not too big or bulky. Get the fastest processor available, then upgrade the HD to 7200 RPM and upgrade the memory yourself with an aftermarket brand from Newegg.com or OWC.com.

Just remember, this is an investment that will last you for quite some time if you treat it well. Oh... and absolutely DO get Apple Care protection ! You can even purchase it at a discount at sites such as this one:

L.A. Computer Company Store

That's for the 15" which is sold for $100 more through Apple. You can even purchase insurance for it, that covers accidents as well as theft. That site above is trusted by me, as I have friends whom have bought from them.

It's late, so more manana.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.