Installing new internal harddrive in macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have just purchased a new solid state internal hard drive to go into my macbook Pro 3,1. but when i install the harddrive i want to start fresh and wipe everything off my computer. Im wondering if it is ok to just replace the harddrives and then install snow leopard from the cd? or do i need to have snow leopard installed onto the new harddrive before i install it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can install Snow Leopard clean if you wish by booting from the DVD and run the installation program. Of course you'll need to first partition and then format the drive before installing Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is how I would do it.
-With the old disk in, and the computer booted, install the OSX disk.
-Turn off machine.
-remove battery and old harddrive.
-Install the new SDD.
-Turn on the computer while holding down the OPTION key.
-Select to boot off the cd
-Follow the steps until the menu bar comes up.
-Go to options and select Disk Utility.
-Format the new SSD.
-Then, simply exit out of that and continue with the rest of the installation.
(Since you are using an SSD, you should try to save up useless space that is taken up by removing languages and printer drives that aren't needed. You usually save 2-3gbs of space)

This will give you a clean install, as well as give you the option to migrate/migrate after the actual installation part is complete.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
that seemed to make sense to me except the first bit "-With the old disk in, and the computer booted, install the OSX disk." install the OSX disk where? sorry if i seem stupid but this is my first time at installing hardware into a mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.