cloned macbook hd and now applications don't open

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2.16 ghz white macbook that had a 160gb hard drive. I bought a 500gb hard drive and installed it but didn't work because it wasn't formatted. I formatted it and then used superduper to clone it.

After I installed it, it took a bit longer to boot up and it seemed to be working. For some reason, however, certain apps aren't working. iTunes, garage band, google chrome, skype, etc aren't opening. it says that they quit unexpectedly before they open.

I opened up time machine and then restored google chrome but it still does the same thing. I repaired the disk using disk utility but it still doesn't work.

Is there another way to clone the drive? Did I format it wrong again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So long as the clone worked without error everything should be fine.

Perhaps the was a disk error that's damaged part of your Applications folder?

If you re-install the apps (try iTunes and Chrome for starters) do they work then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Check permissions on your home folder. If the permissions for these apps shows ownership to a different account or they are read only, the apps will crash because preferences can't be written to those folders. You can use terminal to change ownership or reset permissions, or if you aren't comfortable with terminal, use Batchmod. Apply permissions to subfolders.

OP
S
Reaction score
So long as the clone worked without error everything should be fine.

Perhaps the was a disk error that's damaged part of your Applications folder?

If you re-install the apps (try iTunes and Chrome for starters) do they work then?

Yeah, I reinstalled google chrome and it didn't work. I think what I'll do now is erase the cloned hard drive, boot up the computer again, use the snow leopard startup disc and migrate everything using time machine.

Hopefully I will get it to work then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.