Powerbook Screen Bars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
I am thinking about buying a used powerbook. The ad says that there gray bars on the screen (i can see them in the pictures and theyre semi-transparent, pretty fat, and you can see the desktop image through them- its just foggier). Its a 17 inch powerbook g4 1.67 ghz, and its not the famous powerbook screen lines. The owner says they've been using it that way, and the buyer could "hook it up to an external display". Is it just the LCD or is the the graphics card?

Thanks,

Justin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the owner says it works OK with an external display, then the graphics card and logic board are probably alright. However, that means the LCD screen itself is defective.

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, i know, i think i can fix it. i have some previous experience with disassembling powerbooks. ifixit.com helps a lot too. Just to make sure I don't buy it then dig myself into a hole, what would it be worth in perfect shape (17" 1.67ghz 100gb hdd, superdrive)?

OP
justin_clark93
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think thats about right. I have been checking the sold prices on ebay as a comparison. Some even are going for over $500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.