Macbook Pro stops detecting external display.

Reaction score
So recently I purchased a third party Mini Displayport to HDMI cable from eBay. It worked on two separate HDTVs at first, (Sony Bravia and a Samsung).

However it suddenly stopped detecting after I swapped the HDMI slots on my Sony Bravia and now it won't work on anything.

When I try to connect the Macbook Pro to the TV all I get is a blue flash on the Macbook Pro and the TV is unchanged. Going to Display preferences doesn't do any justice either because the TV is just not being detected.

I also went to JB HiFi and purchased a Moshi MDP to HDMI cable just to check if it was because of the first cable, but it still doesn't work. So I got my refund.

The HDMI cable works perfectly as I use it with my Xbox 360.

I've tried so many things and searched everywhere on the internet but to no success, hence registering to this site.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

Reaction score
I have had the same problem it was the mini display to hdmi that went bad. Changed it out and viola back up and going.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, I changed it to a Moshi one, which costed like 49 dollars, yet still didn't work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have confused your MBP when you swapped ports. It shouldn't have happened but..... Let's try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. And if possible, reset the TV(s) to their default settings via the menu.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I have a third party mini display port to vga and it worked fine until recently. It stopped detecting my external display and now my mbp flashes a blue screen and the display is never detected. can someone help please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.