Dent on MacBook pro

Reaction score
Well I don't know how it happened but I got a pretty good dent on the corner of my mbp. I am pretty upset about it because I baby the dang thing. Anyhow here's my question how does this affect my AppleCare so far the performance of the machine is the same but if later there developed a problem is apple going to say it was due to the damage? Should I document this some how? Contact apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well I don't know how it happened but I got a pretty good dent on the corner of my mbp. I am pretty upset about it because I baby the dang thing. Anyhow here's my question how does this affect my AppleCare so far the performance of the machine is the same but if later there developed a problem is apple going to say it was due to the damage? Should I document this some how? Contact apple?

It depends on what the problem is. If there ends up being a logic board problem, they can very well blame the cause from the incident. I wouldn't document it, because then they will know for a fact that it has a dent, and has been damaged. If anything does happen, and you tell them that the dent happened before you started having xxxxxx problem, they will probably say that the accident manifested itself over time...especially if something goes wrong with the graphics or logic board.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
So are you saying I'm jacked either way? My apple care is worth squat now? Because apple will refund my AppleCare still

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So are you saying I'm jacked either way? My apple care is worth squat now? Because apple will refund my AppleCare still

I think what it comes down to is...it's very difficult to determine if the accident that caused the dent did any damage. Sometimes the damage is immediate...and sometimes it shows up later.

If you were an person working at the Apple Store...what would the first thing you would think when someone walks up to you with a computer that isn't working & it has a big dent on it?

They're not going to know if the dent just happened...or if it was 6 months ago. Probably the best thing to do is (if this has you really concerned) is speak to an Apple person...and see what they suggest.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you have renter's or homeowner's insurance, I would speak to them as well. Most rental policies include accidental damage on computer hardware, but homeowner's policies will often require a rider for computers and other technology, but either way it's very inexpensive. If you do have coverage, file a claim, have the physical damage fixed, along with any component failure, and you'll be back under AppleCare. You're out a small deductible, but cheaper than paying for a repair out of pocket.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I have a renters policy but the deductible is 500. And to tell u the truth dwelling policies unless you have a pretty big loss cost u alot in the long run to use with small claims. Thank u for your post however. Love the MacBook an loved the aluminum body until this happend. Honesly I baby it. And to not know how the dent occurred makes me think possibly they dent to easy. I'm sure there are thousands of people that never get a dent but I have also read more than a few posts with people saying they have dents as well. I don't think where it is dented would cause damage to the interal systems because it is the front right corner bit who knows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Love the MacBook an loved the aluminum body until this happend. Honesly I baby it. And to not know how the dent occurred makes me think possibly they dent to easy. I'm sure there are thousands of people that never get a dent but I have also read more than a few posts with people saying they have dents as well.

You better believe these things dent easy. To be honest ever since the First Titanium Powerbook G4's were introduced back in 2001...dents have always been a problem...and yes they do dent easy.

So 2011 is the Ten Year Anniversary of "easily denting Powerbooks & MacBook Pros"!;)

Unless you have your MacBook Pro in a hardshell case (which I use)...getting scratches & dents on your MacBook Pro is not a question of "if"...it's a question of "when"!;)

- Nick

p.s. In case you're wondering why Apple uses the metal housing (Titanium or Aluminum)...it's because of the sophisticated look & light weight.:)

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I was hoping someone would reassure me that apple is such a good company they wouldn't see a dent and automatically blame the dent. I guess although they are a excellent company there still out to make money and if they see a dent it's prolly going to be what there gonna blame stuff on. What kinda hard case do u have nick even though its a little late I'll prolly invest in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I was hoping someone would reassure me that apple is such a good company they wouldn't see a dent and automatically blame the dent. I guess although they are a excellent company there still out to make money and if they see a dent it's prolly going to be what there gonna blame stuff on. What kinda hard case do u have nick even though its a little late I'll prolly invest in one.

No matter who the company was, any physical damage on any electronic or mechanical item brought in is going to see this as the cause of the electronic or mechanical failure, unless it can be proven otherwise.... this is just the way it is.

Since you are covered under AppleCare, I'd still contact Apple, and if possible, maybe have them test the unit (as in their series of hardware tests), so they have it documented on their system that the dent was there, as well as the location and size of the dent, and that the unit was tested with that dent, and that everything was in working order when tested.
That way, if anything were to go wrong in the future, they could see that there is at least an element of doubt to the suggestion that the dent is the cause of any future damage.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
That's a really good idea 6string. I was thinking about contacting them anyways but I might suggest sending it to them. Atleast if a problem ever arises I have a fighting chance. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.