• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HDMI help !!

Reaction score
i have a 1080i polaroid 46"
I have a macbook
I have all appropriate chords
The screen goes black on tv when screen loads on macbook goes blue so i know they are talking but nothing happens when the picture comes back on the mac. the polaroid screen stays black. please tell me this is not an issue that polaroid didnt tackle before putting out all these tvs...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't tell you that - got rid of my Polaroid before I got my first Mac.
It worked with Windows, but did not work with Linux over HDMI - maybe 4-5 yrs ago.

Open up System Preferences - Displays - try the Detect external display button.
If it's detecting it, but no picture, play with the resolutions of the LCD to see if you can find one it will accept.

I'd probably start off trying a 720p setting and also try switching back and forth between mirrored and extended desktop mode on the appearance tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, Ipod Touch, Classic, Nano, Shuffle
I have dual monitors on my macbook pro and i orginally had trouble too with the HDMI set up -
i would do what bobtomay said to do- test around certain variable like the resolution on both the comp and the tv, if it doesnt' work on the lowest settings then the TV just isnt accepting the fact that TV's are the new monitors LOL
good luck with that though im suprised its not working

ps-since the TV is only 1080i -> try lowering the resolution from the Display settings menu in System settings when you first plug in the HDMI adapter.. this screen should pop up anyway but it could be that the comp wants to put video out in 1080p and the tv wants it in 1080i.... idk, thats just a ignant guess... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This could also be an HDMI Handshake issue of course, like I had with the ATV 2 and my Hitachi Plasma.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This could also be an HDMI Handshake issue of course, like I had with the ATV 2 and my Hitachi Plasma.

Yep, could be, why I wouldn't guarantee it.

This is the first time I've heard of Hitachi having this issue though.
Does the Hitachi work with your Mac via HDMI or is it just the ATV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yep, could be, why I wouldn't guarantee it.

This is the first time I've heard of Hitachi having this issue though.
Does the Hitachi work with your Mac via HDMI or is it just the ATV?

I haven't tried actually.
Apple said that the main issue with the ATV, was that HDCP compliance standards have changed, and all new equipment meets the new standard, but as yet is not backward compatible with the old, though it should be. I would imagine that the very same applies really.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried actually.
Apple said that the main issue with the ATV, was that HDCP compliance standards have changed, and all new equipment meets the new standard, but as yet is not backward compatible with the old, though it should be. I would imagine that the very same applies really.

Man, that's a crock. Have enough DRM already, and so now even if you buy a HDCP compatible device there's no assurance that it is HDCP compatible. How about the movie houses stick it to us some more?

If that's really the issue with the Hitachi, you might check the Hitachi site and see if they have a firmware update available. Got rid of my last Hitachi a year or two ago, but I think it had a USB port available for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly my Hitachi pre dates USB connectivity. I will check, but I'm pretty sure it's set as is, sadly.
The Mrs won't wear me upgrading either, and to be honest, the picture is great and I'm reluctant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.