Confusion! with win support software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch, 2.93Ghz Quad-Core i7 iMac & 13' MBP
So im at the FIRST HURDLE of bootcamping (fail). anddd ive always been told/read that the mac drivers are on the osx disk.

However my bootcamp assistant tells me that i need to download the software and burn it to a disk or put it on an external. Do i really need to do that? or are the files on the osx disk?

thanks for ur help guys im pooped :S

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This sucks lol, sat here with the disk and everything waiting like a newb stuck at the first step :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're using the Boot Camp Beta, which did have that requirement. If so, note that the beta has long since expired and you can no longer use it.

If you want to use Boot Camp, you'll need to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wait a second - I take that back. If you're doing this on a 27" iMac, you're definitely using 10.6

Did you by chance try to download Boot Camp from the Internet, as opposed to using the version pre-installed on your Mac?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No thats just it, ive since ignored that step and decided to run apple software update on the windows side.

HOWEVER i have since been told that wonderful thing that the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved bla bla bla...

this is a nightmare and i havent even installed it yet lol

Reaction score
The "files cannot be moved" error usually means that the disk requires defragmenting. iDefrag is the utility most folks recommend. Search the forum and you'll find the link.

To update your Boot Camp version, you need to go to the Apple.com/downloads area and download the latest version of Boot Camp, which is optimized to work with Win7. Do it from within Windows and that will update your version; it should avoid the burn to disc message.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help everyone i found the best way to resolve that problem was to simply boot from the osx disk and do a repair on the hd, Bootcamp worked perfectly after that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.