I Need Software Update Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MacBook Pro
Hello everyone!

So lately I've been going through my /Library and /System/Library as well as my /User/Library to delete some unnecessary files that I don't need to make some space on the MacBook Pro.

However I think this may have caused a problem (maybe I didn't keep some of the files that I actually needed :( ).

My Software Update won't work. It always successfully downloads the files (currently OSX 10.6.6, iTunes 10.1.1, Airport 5.5.2, and Remote Desktop Client Update 3.4), and as soon as it asks for a restart, it still works smoothly.

The problem occurs after the "writing files" stage of the update... and as soon as that's done, an error message appears which simply says, "An error has occurred in the installation. None of your updates were installed." After you click ok, it simply restarts and nothing happens.

I've tried repairing my disk through disk utility to see if that helps. I've even tried to update the software directly from the Apple site... and I'm really close to uninstalling iTunes and downloading it again just to get the update... but that would leave out updates like 10.6.6 and such.

Can anyone help me out? Why is my Software Update not working? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
99.9% of users should never mess with anything in the Library folder! No wonder you're having problems.
Do you have a backup that you can restore to? If not, you may have a long road ahead of you that probably will require reinstalling your OS. *Tsk tsk*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Dodgy area deleting files from the system folders and never really recommended to do.
If you have Time Machine or other backup of your files I would suggest a re-install of the OS, if the combo update and repair disk options haven't worked.

For future reference get CleanmyMac or similar software to get rid of unnecessary files.
CleanMyMac - Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you haven't already done so, I would start by applying the OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo to see if it would restore some of the ""missing" files".

Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files. You need to do an "Archive and reinstall" with your Snow Leopard DVD. All your data will be preserved.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Mac OS X is not like Windows. You do not need to, nor should ever delete files to save space - especially from the all important Library folders. You can of course delete things like photos, music, documents (if no longer needed) but leave everything else alone.

2. Make backups! Time Machine came preinstalled on your machine. Buy an external hard drive and use it for TM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files. …

Do you know this as a fact?

It is my understanding that if an update is interrupted that by running the Combo update that it will restore missing files and bring the system up to date. Is this not true?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's sometimes true. The combo update is just a compilation of the OS X updates that have been issued thus far. Some system files do not get updated and remain as they were when first installed. Therefore, depending on which system files or kext(s) (extensions) were deleted, they may or may not get overwritten. The only sure way to get things going again, is to reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Course it will not. We are talking about removing system files which is a completely different thing to update interruptions.

Reaction score
The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files. You need to do an "Archive and reinstall" with your Snow Leopard DVD. All your data will be preserved.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Mac OS X is not like Windows. You do not need to, nor should ever delete files to save space - especially from the all important Library folders. You can of course delete things like photos, music, documents (if no longer needed) but leave everything else alone.

2. Make backups! Time Machine came preinstalled on your machine. Buy an external hard drive and use it for TM.

Your best and easy option...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.