Asking opinion on iBook quirk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 10.4.11
Specs: 1.33 GHz, 12" iBook (December 2005) 40 GB HD running Tiger 10.4.11

In your opinion, what might make an iBook go "black" only when plugged in, but fine when running off battery power? It seems to be alright plugged in when either running off the installation disk or in Safe Mode but, when started regularly, it goes black when using AC (fine with DC). Permissions show nothing needing to be corrected. Disk verifies "OK". Battery charges fully.

There are no other issues (that I'm aware of) other than the iBook going black a few seconds after I plug in the charger.

NOTE REGARDING AHT: Installation disks did come with this particular iBook, but no Apple Hardware Test disk. However, yesterday, while working on another iBook, I had to fire this one up in target mode, fire the other one up holding down the Option key and I noticed that, with the installation disk in the target iBook, Apple Hardware Test was a start-up option for the iBook started with the Option Key held down. Apparently, it's on the installation disk but I can't seem to access it simply by starting from the installation disk. (It only showed up when using the firewire..... if any of that makes sense.)

If anyone has a suggestion as to what could be causing this "black-out during AC connection" event, I'd appreciate your insight.

OP
gbsothere
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 10.4.11
Well, alrighty, then...

:)

(I think I've figured it out. Disregard.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.