Virtual PC Cannot See Superdrive in Mac G5

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 running OSX 10.5.

I have installed Virtual PC for Mac Ver 7 and Windows XP Pro.

The install went fine and Windows seems to run OK. I can access the internet and all but ......

I am not able to see the Mac's Pioneer DVD-RW drive from Windows. I do have an icon in my Computer (CD Drive (E:)) but when I insert any disc I get the following message:

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

So even though I have what appears to be a working Windows XP Pro virtual pc, I cannot install anything into it, at least not using a CD or DVD. What a pain.

I have searched Microsoft's site but that was not helpful at all. No references to the error message, which I thought was unusual.

I also have a USB printer connected to a hub on my mac and Windows cannot se it either. Nor does my sound work.

It looks as though Virtual PC cannot access any of the Mac's hardware despite the fact that Device Manager says everything is OK.

Anyone seen this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Can it read a regular dvd movie?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your last sentence says it all. VPC is a woeful program that has been abandoned by Microsoft completely. Best suggestion is if you must use Windows, buy a cheap PC laptop or update to an Intel Mac and use BootCamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.