• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hi Def Camcorder

Reaction score
I want to buy a high def camcorder that will work well with my Mac. I am looking to spend around $600. Can anyone give me a brand/model that they have had great success with?

thanks,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
A friend of mine has a Canon HF200. He let me use it once and it works flawlessly with Macs (I use Final Cut Express), and also has very good picture quality. I've actually been considering purchasing one myself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4,1 4x2.66, 8gb, HD7950, 1.1TB Fusion (Sam840 SSD & 1TB Cav Black), 2x1TB Cav Black 2TB Cav Green
I've got an HF20, and I'm generally very happy with it. Low light situations challenge it a bit, but manual control helps out. The new models have a touchscreen, which I'm not that fond of, though my friend likes his. The Canons work flawlessly with Macs, just be prepared for monster file sizes if you aren't editing natively in AVCHD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.4 Ghz/4GB Ram/250HD/Lion 10.7.1
hi! i have canon hf10. i imported all the videos i have when i was still using pc. now that i have mac, i was trying to open it but it wouldnt play. i bought total video converter. i was able to convert it but it was out of sync because it became slow motion after the conversion. help me please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4,1 4x2.66, 8gb, HD7950, 1.1TB Fusion (Sam840 SSD & 1TB Cav Black), 2x1TB Cav Black 2TB Cav Green
What format is the windows footage in? I don't have any experience with Total Video convertor, I use the Shedworx stuff myself, what options does it allow for? The files may have some win tags on them that make them incompatible.

Did you keep the native .mts files? You'll likely have much better luck converting those than whatever format you had them in on your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.4 Ghz/4GB Ram/250HD/Lion 10.7.1
Handbrake resolved my problem. plus i installed vlc. thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.