Macbook unibody vs Macbook Pro unibody?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
Hey guys, what is the difference between the macbook unibody (black keys, aluminum body) vs the macbook pro unibody (same style). I can't find a difference on it, same specs and all, just one has a logo of macbook and the other has macbook pro.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, what is the difference between the macbook unibody (black keys, aluminum body) vs the macbook pro unibody (same style). I can't find a difference on it, same specs and all, just one has a logo of macbook and the other has macbook pro.
Thanks

You should also probably include if you are comparing a 13" MacBook to a 13" MacBook Pro...and I'm assuming the same cpu speed.:)

Major differences are:

- MacBook has the white polycarbonate (plastic housing) vs. metal for the MacBook Pro
- Macbook does not have a backlit keyboard
- MacBook doesn't have an SD card slot
- MacBook comes with less ram (2 gig vs. 4 gig for the MBP)

Basically the 13" MacBook has various cost cutting items making it less expensive ($200 less) than the entry level MacBook Pro.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
Thanks Nick, and yes, i am meaning the 13". Technically, the macbook unibody, is the aluminum body as well, at least in 2008/early 2009. I have one, with the LED screen and black keys and backlit keyboard and all that stuff. But also have the 15" macbook pro, and i've seen the 13" macbook pros and there isn't a difference that i can tell...maybe the only thing missing is the sd slot on the macbook.

You should also probably include if you are comparing a 13" MacBook to a 13" MacBook Pro...and I'm assuming the same cpu speed.:)

Major differences are:

- MacBook has the white polycarbonate (plastic housing) vs. metal for the MacBook Pro
- Macbook does not have a backlit keyboard
- MacBook doesn't have an SD card slot

Basically the 13" MacBook has various cost cutting items making it less expensive ($200 less) than the entry level MacBook Pro.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, and yes, i am meaning the 13". Technically, the macbook unibody, is the aluminum body as well, at least in 2008/early 2009.

Yes...this is true...the 2008 MacBook was metal. But out of all 4 years & 19 out of 21 MacBook models that were manufactured...other than the two 2008 models...all MacBook housings have been made of "plastic"...most of them white...but some black models as well.

I didn't realize this this was going to turn into a MacBook history discussion.;) I was assuming that your initial post was referring to the comparison between the currently available 13" MacBook (which is white plastic) & the currently available 13" MacBook Pro (which has a metal...aluminum).:)

...maybe the only thing missing is the sd slot on the macbook.

Basically the biggest differences are the:

- Plastic vs. metal housing
- no backlit keyboard on the MacBook

The MacBook Pro (IMHO)...is definitely the better deal...since for just $200 more you get the:

- metal housing
- SD card slot
- double the ram (2gig vs. 4 gig)
- backlit keyboard

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
Yes...this is true...the 2008 MacBook was metal. But out of all 4 years & 19 out of 21 MacBook models that were manufactured...other than the two 2008 models...all MacBook housings have been made of "plastic"...most of them white...but some black models as well.

I didn't realize this this was going to turn into a MacBook history discussion.;) I was assuming that your initial post was referring to the comparison between the currently available 13" MacBook (which is white plastic) & the currently available 13" MacBook Pro (which has a metal...aluminum).:)

Basically the biggest differences are the:

- Plastic vs. metal housing
- no backlit keyboard on the MacBook

The MacBook Pro (IMHO)...is definitely the better deal...since for just $200 more you get the:

- metal housing
- SD card slot
- double the ram (2gig vs. 4 gig)
- backlit keyboard

HTH,

- Nick

LOL! sorry about that. Should have specified more in the beginning, but didn't think that there was that many different models. But i do appreciate the info. Helps me understand alittle more on them. I definitely agree with you on the macbook pro. I have a 15" and also, a macbook aluminum body. Like i said..all the specs are the same, except for my 15" is 2.53ghz instead of 2.4ghz on the 13". I had put the 13" up for sale on craigslist and people had been asking what is the difference and thats why i posed the question out here, to find an answer :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL! sorry about that. Should have specified more in the beginning, but didn't think that there was that many different models.

I had put the 13" up for sale on craigslist and people had been asking what is the difference and thats why i posed the question out here, to find an answer :)

Yes there were/are quite a few MacBook models (21 different models)...and probably equally or more models of the MacBook Pro's (just counted them, 30 different MacBook Pro models). So if we were having a "broad" discussion about the specific differences between MacBooks & MacBook Pro's from 2006-2011...WOW...it would be very complex.

But to boil things down quickly & as best as I know how...the major differences would be:

- Plastic vs. Metal housings
- MacBook's always were/are 13" displays. MacBook Pro's (until recently) always had 15" or 17" displays.
- MacBook Pro's almost always had better graphics hardware
- MacBook Pro's sometimes had more ports
- No MacBook's (except for 1 model out of 21) had a backlit keyboard

Of course the person or persons from Craig's List asking you what the differences are between MacBook's & MacBook Pro's really aren't concerned about a history lesson...and if you told them the differences...they may not even want to buy a MacBook...since feature-wise MacBook Pro's are better! Of course more expensive as well (when comparing the same vintage).

Good luck with the Craig's List sale,:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
Thanks Nick! I really appreciate all the info. I was thinking about posting on the sale forum here as well.
But I'm glad I did find out all this info, good to know stuff too. Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick! I really appreciate all the info. I was thinking about posting on the sale forum here as well.
But I'm glad I did find out all this info, good to know stuff too. Thanks again!

You're welcome!:)

I should have also mentioned...that if we were discussing JUST MacBook Unibody models & MacBook Pro Unibody models...that there would be fewer models to mention...but there would still be quite a few.

Also...we get lots & lots of threads here on Mac-Forums with a title just like yours...and I think that this is the first time I can remember that the "context" of the thread wasn't about someone thinking of buying a new MacBook/MacBook Pro...and was looking for comparison buying info.

Obviously you were looking at things from a MUCH different perspective!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
You're welcome!:)

I should have also mentioned...that if we were discussing JUST MacBook Unibody models & MacBook Pro Unibody models...that there would be fewer models to mention...but there would still be quite a few.

Also...we get lots & lots of threads here on Mac-Forums with a title just like yours...and I think that this is the first time I can remember that the "context" of the thread wasn't about someone thinking of buying a new MacBook/MacBook Pro...and was looking for comparison buying info.

Obviously you were looking at things from a MUCH different perspective!;)

- Nick

Yeah, i've messed with macs in the past and have had a about 15 different ones in the past few years. Couldn't bring myself to switch over, but i've gotten into photography, and love the screens and all on the macs. by far the best IMO. I am a systems engineer, so i handle microsoft stuff all day long, but i think i have finally made the switch to mac. In this case, im not looking to buy one, as i've got a few already, but just wanted to know the comparisons on the 2. I love my 15" macbook pro, definitely not getting rid of it, but the 13" will probably have to go, as i said before, my wife isn't going to use it. Ive still got desktops and laptops (pc wise) laying around, but love/have always loved macs. I'm big into hardware too, so that is why i like finding out things, the differences in between specs and what not. But this one definitely confused me, b/c i have 2 sitting here almost identical, and couldn't figure out the reasoning behind one saying "macbook" and the other "pro". I'm sure this will help out others if they read this thread as well. Understanding the differences. Definitely helped me out :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But this one definitely confused me, b/c i have 2 sitting here almost identical, and couldn't figure out the reasoning behind one saying "macbook" and the other "pro".

I think that early on (back in 2006/2007 & maybe 2008) the MacBook & MacBook Pro naming may have made more sense. Since the MacBook Pro's always had larger screens & DEFINITELY had better graphics hardware.

But lately (2009/2010) when Apple came out with a 13" MacBook Pro...AND improved the graphics hardware in the MacBook...I think the distinction between the MacBook & MacBook Pro has gotten a bit more "Blurry"!;)

Another distinction (at least for the moment)...is you can't get a new "i" series processor in a MacBook (Core 2 Duo only)...but I'm sure that will eventually change.

If you're REALLY interested in learning more about the detailed specs of MacBooks & MacBook Pro's go to:

EveryMac.com

...or download a program called "Mac-Tracker":

Mactracker

Enjoy,:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP unibody
Have you had a chance to play with one of the new "i" series macbooks? I just curious on how much faster they are than the C2D's. When running like photoshop or something along those lines. I've had several Core i3, i5, and i7 PC's, but haven't had a chance to test a mac out with it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you had a chance to play with one of the new "i" series macbooks? I just curious on how much faster they are than the C2D's. When running like photoshop or something along those lines. I've had several Core i3, i5, and i7 PC's, but haven't had a chance to test a mac out with it.

I haven't had a chance to play with them. But I have seen some benchmark scores. Compared to your 15" 2.53ghz MacBook Pro which gets a score of 3276...the new "i5" & "i7" MacBook Pros score a 4800-5500 (about a 50%+ improvement).

When it comes to actual Photoshop work...I'm not sure if the improvement is as impressive...but it certainly should be noticeable!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.