MS Office 2008 Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GBHard drive. Totally Standard Macbook Pro 13"
Hello everyone!

Hopefully I will find help from you guys with my Microsoft Office 2008 (word).

I need some document elements in word, such as front pages, table of contents and the rest of them.. I don't how they disappeared, but I might have deleted them (Not sure).

After that, I tried to run a Microsoft AutoUpdate, and as before there is a new update (12.2.8) ! BUT, when I try to install it, something is wrong, because I can't choose a storage and it says, that it need some of the previous updates. And I tried to download them (previous updates) from MS' website, and if I remember correct it was saying the same thing.. (Need a previous update)

THAT's why I need help, what is wrong, and can I do something??
I need the document elements

Note; I can't choose another storage to install it on, because I don't have one at the moment. And I don't use Time Machine.
I can't install the officepack again, because I lent it from a friend..

Thank you VERY much, if you can handle my problem! I would be really thankful & thanks for reading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well using pirated copies leads to this trouble alas. You need to remove Office and do a clean install so maybe you had better buy your own copy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@harry:

It's a legal copy. (Family pack - lives with friend in the same Apt.)

@mac-P4:

After reading thru your post again, about the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall 2008 and do a reinstall. Make sure you're not using any other applications that limit languages or code - such as Monolingual.

Also, make sure you completely uninstall Office 2008. Use the uninstaller located in:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app/

After reinstalling, click on update and download all the updates again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where does the OP say that Charlie?

All it says lent it from a friend.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry harry, should have mentioned that it was private PMs between him and I. I initially closed his first thread on the subject but he PMed me to explain the situation.

OP
mac-P4c
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GBHard drive. Totally Standard Macbook Pro 13"
@mac-P4:

After reading thru your post again, about the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall 2008 and do a reinstall. Make sure you're not using any other applications that limit languages or code - such as Monolingual.

Also, make sure you completely uninstall Office 2008. Use the uninstaller located in:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app/

After reinstalling, click on update and download all the updates again.

If I uninstall the Office 2008 now. Can I use the same code as I used, when I installed it? Or shall I use another one of the two other licens..?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use the same serial number over again as long as you completely remove the old copy. The serial number information is contained in the Office 2008 profile it creates. (It's encoded.) The Office uninstaller will remove the profile information and its data base. You should be good to go again.

After you install the new copy, make sure you get all the updates. Some of the updates have been combined from the original ones that were issued. They'll all be downloaded automatically from the MS server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further I use the business copy of 2008 and it comes with only one product key. Have installed Office 2008 on three machines now, all being replacements with Office removed from older with no problems. All that changes is you get a slightly different product number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.