I just got my ip4! Love it, have a few questions

Reaction score
I just got my iphone...I love it, its great. I have been opposed to apple products in the past for being fluff. however, they are not fluff, they are great devices. I also have a mac mini now with a new 27" cinema monitor on the way as well as an Ipad.

I have a couple of questions. where can I get real ring tones, not music, or whatever but "blackberryish' ringtones. im a professional and I dont need IMA gansta song playing as my ringtone....ha ha.

2. Can I tether access to my 3g from my phone to my new ipad? for free? Is there an app for doing that so Telus don't ding me crazy costs for doing it...

3. what are some of the more popular business type apps out there.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
2. Can I tether access to my 3g from my phone to my new ipad? for free? Is there an app for doing that so Telus don't ding me crazy costs for doing it.
If you jailbreak your phone there is an app called MyWi (one time $20 charge) that allows you to turn your phone into a mobile wifi hotspot. I have it and love it, however there are a few things you need to be aware of:

1. Jailbreaking your phone voids the warranty on it. Of course, you can restore it to factory settings before taking it in if needed, but technically the warranty is voided.

2. Tethering your phone via MyWi is in violation of your contract (at least with AT&T it is). That said, speeding it also against the law, but we all do it to a degree.

3. Using your phone as a mobile hotspot is hard on the battery, so keep a charger nearby if you're going to be using it on the road. If you're using it on a laptop you also have the option to do USB tethering, which keeps the phone charged (as long as the computer battery lasts!).

4. MyWi creates an ad-hoc network. Not a true wifi network. This means some devices (like the Nintendo Wii) won't work with the MyWi signal.

3. what are some of the more popular business type apps out there.

thanks!
Don't know of a whole lot, but I do have an app called "Genius Scan." It was free when I downloaded it...not sure about now. Using your phone's camera, take a picture of a document and Genius Scan turns it into a PDF file. Of course, the quality is not as good as a scanner, but it's pretty darn good.

OP
S
Reaction score
awsome.

thanks for the information...im going to cheeck tethering charges with my carrier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awsome.

thanks for the information...im going to cheeck tethering charges with my carrier
Unless the camera kit/USB thing for the iPad can transfer that kind of data, you won't be able to tether your iPhone to the iPad in the literal sense. The only way is to turn your phone into a mobile hot spot.

Perhaps your carrier can do that, but with AT&T there is only the USB tethering option, and it's something like $20-$30 a month.

OP
S
Reaction score
Telus offers tethering. the ipad and iphone both have bluetooth which is available for tethering. therefore im good to go. thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Telus offers tethering. the ipad and iphone both have bluetooth which is available for tethering. therefore im good to go. thanks for the information.
Oh yeah...forgot about bluetooth tethering. I'm not sure if AT&T offers that. For what it's worth I MyWi does offer bluetooth tethering if you'd rather go with that. It is more cost effective, but it comes down to how comfortable you are with jailbreaking your phone and thus violating the terms of service.

OP
S
Reaction score
No need to. If go over my data limit, it's only 5c a mb. No big deal. I can just split the data between phone and pad using my phone as wifi. No apps or jailbreaking etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.