problems installing program

Reaction score
i bought my first mac and i have a problem.

i tried downloading and installing a program off download.com more specifically frostwire
i have dled it and installed it fine on my gf mac but this one isn't working

the downloading worked perfectly fine but i can't seem to install it.

when its finished dling from the website i get a icon on my desktop that looks like a harddrive. when i click it it opens a new folder which i click on the icon to open it to install it it gives me a message saying :

"frostwire" is an application downloaded from the Internet. are you sure you want to open it?
"frostwire" is on the disk image "frostwire-4.21.2.dmg". safari downloaded this disk image today at 11:08 from download.cnet.com"

when i select yes from that message nothing happens

what am i doing wrong?

how can i install this program properly? is there like a seeting that i need to adjust.

thanks for your help

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
make sure you drag it off the disk image into the applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Apple recommends developers use application packages, with most of the support files embedded with the application. So Firefox is actually Firefox.app, which is a folder pretending to be an application, with its support files and executable inside. That allows a user to uninstall an app by simply dragging it to the trash. A DMG file is similar to a windows ISO, a virtual disk, and if a file doesn't have a specific installer, it will most likely be a drag and drop install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Both absolutely right, when you download a file that is placed inside a .DMG (DMG being a virtual drive) you need to drag the application out of the dmg into your applications folder. Once you have done this you can drag the dmg to the trash bin to eject it then delete the downloaded folder housing the dmg.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For fuller instructions, double click the .dmg file and after it open either install the program if there is an installer, or simply drag it to the Applications folder. Many programs have an application folder besides the program with an arrow. That will also work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.