Double Help menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Did anyone else notice that the double Help problem in Tiger hasn't been solved yet?

Some apps, like for instance Quicktime player and Automator (there are more, just can't list them all) have two Help menus.

Until now I thought that issue was limited to Apple apps, but today I tried Yasu, and it also has two Help menus...

Any ideas what that problem might be?

It happens only on Tiger (clean install), from 10.4 up to 10.4.2

It's not a bid issue...but it's a bug nevertheless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm running from a clean install of Tiger and have 10.4.2 and I've never had the double help menu problem. Are you running a foreign language version? Perhaps the problem is isolated to that?

OP
Avalon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Nope, I'm running it in English.
I know I'm not the only one, because some time ago (before 10.4.2) somebody else here had noticed it too.

When I open Quicktime Player for example, my Help menu apperas twice.

I attached a screenshot of my desktop, so you can see it.

Dual_Help.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I used to have that problem but haven't noticed it recently...

OP
Avalon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found it!!!

I finally found out what causes the problem:
It's the latest DivX codec, 5.2.1
It has compatibility issues with Tiger, and is responsible for the double "Help"-menu appearing in some apps (like Quicktime, Automator, Pages etc.).

It is also responsible for Quicktime stopping play back (for all types of video) when the player is minimized to the Dock.

After downgrading to DivX 5.1.1, I had no more double "Help"-menus, and when minimized, the Quicktime player continued playing, as it used to before.

Just FYI, if anybody else had the same issue... :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.