DVD/CD drive won't read installation CDs

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize in advance if I overlook any of the other threads that might be posted earlier with answers to this similar problem/issue.

In case, it's not among one of the postings - I'm having a problem with the DVD/CD hardware. I inserted the iLife CD to install but the hardware just went turning a couple of times then barely popped out before it was pulled back in again. I had to wait a couple of times trying to grab the CD before it's pulled back again. I tried the other CD - iWork but same results. Also, when I inserted the CD, I expected to see the DVD device icon to pop up on the desktop but it never appears.

This is Macbook Pro laptop with Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.2 and the CDs mentioned above is 9.0.3. I don't know if the version for the CDs matter regarding the OS X version or is it the OS X that needs to be updated/upgraded to meet the minimum for CDs?

If needed, here's the info of the DVD/CD hardware:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DA09
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Please advise and thank you in advance for your time and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds awfully like yet another laptop deceased optical drive. Is the machine still under warranty?

OP
A
Reaction score
Harryb2448, unfortunately, no, it's not under warranty. It's used. How do I find out if the optical drive isn't working properly? Diagnostic testing? Or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trial and error. Try blowing compressed air, a small amount though, through and se if that improves things. Another try may be one the commercial laser cleaners.

OP
A
Reaction score
Harryb2448 - do you have suggestions on brand or specific products for both compressed air and commercial laser cleaners (if you've experienced trying them out before)?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.