800 firewire hub

Reaction score
How can I connect multiple WD external 800 speed hard drives to the back of a G5 PPC 2.0 dual computer? If I daisy chain them will they only be at 400 not 800 speed? Should I put in a PCI card or use some kind of hub (like the Belken but only reaches a 400 rate) or repeater like the Gefen 800?
Dr. Joe

OP
T
Reaction score
Issue solved

Found a great solution which works!
I purchased a PCI card made by Other World Computing (OWCPCIFW800P3, $24.99 each, OWC High-Performance 1394B FireWire 800 3-Port PCI Card for Mac/PC. New with 1yr Warranty.) that fit into slot #2 on my PPC G5. Did not require any other power connection. Works like a charm!
Purchased it from macsales.com. :Cool:

All my cables enter neatly from the rear and leaves me extra ports for future drives. I sit my drives on top of the computer under the desk out of the way but you can see the lights. Have all the power transformers hooked into a power block which turn off (with the router) with one switch. Sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.