• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ultimate Flame War Material

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now for something a little humorous. Read on the forums from time to time folk having troubles dealing with PC orientated users in the business world. This light hearted look is from today's MacTalk Australia web site:-

Mac vs. PC – The real reason… | MacTalk Australia

Hasten to add I am both an Apple and a PC user.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good one harry. But maybe we should move it to "Anything Goes"?

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By all means please do Charlie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Very nice article. But the article that money is no object for many people. That is so very wrong. Many people purchase PC's cause they have a cheaper initial cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Best part of it all imo,
Ultimately, comparing a PC to a Mac on price point is like comparing a Subaru WRX to an M3. They may have similar performance, but if price wasn’t an option, we all know what most people would pick. And yet, every day people spend a fortune on shoes, haircuts, laptop bags, handbags, man bags and watches because they look good, but according to our PC counterparts, doing the same for our computers makes us “fanboi’s” or blind Apple sheep willing to buy whatever Steve throws at us.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I guess I would agree on the style aspect of the iMacs vs PC desktop units, but seriously style is zero consideration is my purchase of the MBP or Macbook.
I bought them because they work better, not because they look better. Honestly, I would like to have an iMac because they look so neat, but I can't justify it based on my usage.

So, while I may agree I have better intrinsic taste and style than the average PC user, that was not a factor in me choosing Apple. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Agreed. Certainly a decent argument, but it throws everything except aesthetics out the window.

I find the mac line to be super sexy, indeed, but that's not why I bought it. I bought my macbook because it's a portable, decent-running machine, with a great OS, as well as apple's reputation for making computers that last ****-near forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
as well as apple's reputation for making computers that last ****-near forever.

Where did you hear that? That's not why I bought it, mainly because I have never heard of that before. I think people who think that Macs last, "nearly forever," are the one's who lash out when something goes wrong. It's man-made technology...something is bound to go wrong at some point, even though they certainly have one of the best reliability rating when compared to other computers. I bought mine because I just really like the way it works(OSX), its darn great looks, and best of all, the best customer service you can have when it comes to something going wrong...which also ties into the fact that they actually have their own store you can go to. This is part of the reason that attracts me to the Apple store to buy even more of their stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
as well as apple's reputation for making computers that last ****-near forever.
I have to agree here. 5+ years is pretty much almost forever in the tech industry. Heck to some people 6 months is old. And I've heard story after story of people doing serious work on old Macs. In some cases very old Macs. You just don't hear the same stories with old window's boxes. Yes they all are just man made machines. That will eventually fail. But a lot of them seem to fare well.

My Grandma wrote her book on a colour classic in the 2000's. A 1990 computer used for serious work when it was 15+ years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
My Grandma wrote her book on a colour classic in the 2000's. A 1990 computer used for serious work when it was 15+ years old.

Wow. That is cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
edit: meh, this isnt "ultimate flame war material" instead this article is sad.. its a majority of apples to oranges, bad metaphors and fallacies.
"ultimate flame material" is something thats legit, this is troll material.

Reaction score
Almost like watching "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
The whole mac vs pc talk, i dont really understand. There is no comparison, windows is widely spread for commercial use, apple is on the other hand for home use only for now. I love my MBP, my iphone, my ipod etc etc but i am in IT and there is only Windows you have to use for everything. Giant consulting software makers all are on windows, i mean there is no comparison, i just dont get people. I guess when you have little knowledge thats what you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
apple is on the other hand for home use only for now.

I can't say that I agree with that at all.

Apart from me using mine for home and business, and musicians, movie production, etc, I see Apple computers springing up more often in business settings.
In fact, one of the largest Real Estate agencies in Australia uses iMacs.

Also, see Apple - Business

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not talking small businesses running Quickbooks or small softwares made by them. I am talking about the whole IT world. Apple is not in that yet and I don't think it will. I really would like to use my MBP to run my IT softwares but unfortunately it won't happen.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you are not in the IT field, you are stuck on things that we make for people to use. Also it's not about proving whose wrong an whose right. This thread was based on mac vs pc which is still no comparison. I just dont like ignorant people comparing the two when they have no knowledge at all. I still love my Apple stuff :) just can't use them in my field even if I wanted to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.