Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am hoping that you can answer a couple of my questions.

When I start up my Macbook Pro (10.5 Leopard) I receive the folder with the question mark and ticking sound. I have looked up info on it from the apple support site and other forums which say I need the installation disk....that is where i run into problems.

I bought the computer from my friend and I am not sure if he still has the disk (I never got it from him when I originally bought it)

What is the best way for my to conquer this problem if he does not have the originally installation disk?

ALSO, when the computer makes a loud ticking sound, almost like a clock. I am very worried about this...

Thanks for all the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Everyone, I am hoping that you can answer a couple of my questions.

When I start up my Macbook Pro (10.5 Leopard) I receive the folder with the question mark and ticking sound. I have looked up info on it from the apple support site and other forums which say I need the installation disk....that is where i run into problems.

I bought the computer from my friend and I am not sure if he still has the disk (I never got it from him when I originally bought it)

What is the best way for my to conquer this problem if he does not have the originally installation disk?.

Thanks for all the help

Two possibilities:

- The flashing "?" means there's no OS installed on the hard drive.
- The "ticking" sound could mean that the hard drive is damaged/dead...which would also give you the flashing "?"

In either case you're going to need an OS install disk...and possibly a new hard drive.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You might be able to get the OS discs for that Mac from Apple, for a fee, of course. I'm not sure what type of proof of ownership they require in such situations.

OP
S
Reaction score
UPDATE. just spoke to my friend

A) he has the disk

However, I believe it might be more serious because of the loud clocklike noise

IT IS under warranty....AM I covered if this is as bad as it seems

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, I believe it might be more serious because of the loud clocklike noise

IT IS under warranty....AM I covered if this is as bad as it seems

We have no idea! You haven't told us:

- what model MacBook Pro you have
- how old it is (if you know)
- if this MacBook Pro has the "standard" 12 month Applecare...or extended Applecare (3 years)

But...hard drives are normally NOT covered under Applecare...unless you can prove that there was some sort of manufacturing defect.

On the positive side...hard drives for MacBook Pros are relatively inexpensive...and easy to install.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
piece laigaird

We have no idea! You haven't told us:

- what model MacBook Pro you have
- how old it is (if you know)
- if this MacBook Pro has the "standard" 12 month Applecare...or extended Applecare (3 years)

But...hard drives are normally NOT covered under Applecare...unless you can prove that there was some sort of manufacturing defect.

On the positive side...hard drives for MacBook Pros are relatively inexpensive...and easy to install.:)

- Nick

Early 2008 15 inch macbook pro.

I was able to check my warranty on apple's site by submitting the serial number. I am covered until August 2011

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

"Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
Estimated Expiration Date: August 7, 2011
Covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
The AppleCare Protection Plan is a unique service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage of your Apple product."
--from Apple site

Also, how much would it cost if I were to buy a new hard drive?

Thanks for all of this--very helpful!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Early 2008 15 inch macbook pro.

I was able to check my warranty on apple's site by submitting the serial number. I am covered until August 2011

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

"Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
Estimated Expiration Date: August 7, 2011
Covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
The AppleCare Protection Plan is a unique service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage of your Apple product."
--from Apple site

Also, how much would it cost if I were to buy a new hard drive?

Thanks for all of this--very helpful!

Could be anywhere from 50-170 dollars. Depending on what kind of HDD you are buying, and how much space it has. IE 320GB, 500GB etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good deal that this MacBook Pro is still covered with Applecare...but as mentioned...hard drives typically not covered...and in this case, the computer's hard drive has been working fine for 2 years & 5 months...so it's sort of tough to say it's a manufacturing defect.

But...you never never know with Apple. If you take it to a local Apple Store...they just might replace it...or sell you a new one at Apple's wholesale cost (versus full retail).

If Apple decides to go route #2 (sell you an HD at a reduced cost)...just make sure you know how much you can get the same size hard drive somewhere else...since Apple sometimes charges more for things.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And whilst there invest in Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.