Sharing ethernet with PS3

Reaction score
I'm out on a job for 3 weeks staying at the Marriott in Indianapolis and I brought my PS3 for the ride.

I have paid internet access and my PS3 can't navigate through the "walled garden" to get past the security but my macbook has no problem at all.

I did a little research and apparently I can share the internet from my laptop with the PS3 through an Ethernet cable but there's a bunch of IP's and pppoe's and mumbo jumbo I don't really know how to work.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Are you talking about accessing Sony services like online play? If the required ports are being blocked behind your connection, then using a computer as a proxy, and going through that same connection probably won't help.

Can you access the web with your PS3? That's a good way to determine if it's just the PS3 and not something the Marriott is doing to the ports. I've found that almost every place I've ever been (from onsite resorts at Universal to Hampton Inn when we're traveling to PA) allow traffic across almost all ports. I've connected to all sorts of services outside of the "regular" things like email, web.

Try connecting to the web with your PS3, if you can't, that means a known operational port isn't working specifically on the PS3. Then we can try something else (could be DNS related, etc.)

OP
T
Reaction score
Are you talking about accessing Sony services like online play? If the required ports are being blocked behind your connection, then using a computer as a proxy, and going through that same connection probably won't help.

Can you access the web with your PS3? That's a good way to determine if it's just the PS3 and not something the Marriott is doing to the ports. I've found that almost every place I've ever been (from onsite resorts at Universal to Hampton Inn when we're traveling to PA) allow traffic across almost all ports. I've connected to all sorts of services outside of the "regular" things like email, web.

Try connecting to the web with your PS3, if you can't, that means a known operational port isn't working specifically on the PS3. Then we can try something else (could be DNS related, etc.)

Yes I'm trying to access online play...
I can access the web on the PS3 through the Wi-Fi. It takes me straight to the Marriott home page and I can choose "connect to the Internet". Followed by that I'm prompted to enter my name, last name, accept the charges and submit but after I fill all that out, I click submit and it won't load the next page. It just sits there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
OK, I see why you were thinking of the proxy now. It sounds like a bit of a PS3 browser issue with the web based registration.

Have you tried the wired connection? (if one is available) I was also thinking maybe you could use the wired on your MBP, register, and then swap the wire over to the PS3. I don't know how they allocate the connection to your room (if it's assigned by MAC address or just to the port that's connected to your room).

Sorry I can't help with the proxy setup on the Mac, I've done it on Windows - you basically just setup another network and route through the two NICs (the wired and wireless). I just don't have any good step-by-step for doing it on a Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, I see why you were thinking of the proxy now. It sounds like a bit of a PS3 browser issue with the web based registration.

Have you tried the wired connection? (if one is available) I was also thinking maybe you could use the wired on your MBP, register, and then swap the wire over to the PS3. I don't know how they allocate the connection to your room (if it's assigned by MAC address or just to the port that's connected to your room).

Sorry I can't help with the proxy setup on the Mac, I've done it on Windows - you basically just setup another network and route through the two NICs (the wired and wireless). I just don't have any good step-by-step for doing it on a Mac.

I tried connecting the cable straight to the mac, accepting the agreement and then switching the cable over but then I got this when I tried to connect.

211ticg.jpg

Reaction score
I did exactly this to SUCCESSFULLY connect my ps3 to the Marriott wireless internet.

Preregister the network on the ps3. It will FAIL.

Load the browser

Click the Connect for Free button

When white page appears and it 'hangs up' press START

When the box appears, press START

Press X

Continue on Unsecured page and WAIT for it to completely LOAD

the page that appears is the one it NEEDS to load for you to have internet access.

AFTER it is loaded, close the browser and get to gaming. :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
If you do want to go with your plan of sharing your MBP's internet connection then select System Preferences and go to the Sharing tab:
ScreenShot2014-01-27at223245_zpsef3fde85.jpg

Check 'Internet Sharing' and then share your wi-fi connection using 'Ethernet'. When I was using my MacMini to link my Sky box (PVR) to on-demand services that was all I needed to do, so the PS3 part of your set-up might be more straightforward than you think?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.