Windows ME on Mac

Reaction score
Ok so I have finally got boot camp to run after the error which said "Back up the disk and use disk utility to format it as a single mac os extended (journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using boot camp assist again":(
After this I tried bootcamp and it partition fine I started up from the windows ME disc and everything works fine until I get to the Welcome setup screen
which say "to setup windows now, press enter"
Once I press enter nothing happens and it just stays on that screen I have tried every button on this screen but none of them work!
The were working when selecting options of start up on the windows disc and all so t is pretty confusing!

Can you suggest anything do I need some windows keyboard drivers?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp doesn't support Windows ME. It has specific requirements - Windows XP, Vista or 7. The hardware is simply too new and drivers do not exist for an OS that old.

If you really must run ME, you'll need to do so in virtualization (VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
cwa beat me to it

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok

Ok thanks for the help I guess I will have to get my hands on a copy of windows XP any ideas on how should I
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it
3. Steal it (ummm... this isnt a real option for me)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Ok thanks for the help I guess I will have to get my hands on a copy of windows XP any ideas on how should I
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it

You can buy Windows XP from Tigerdirect.com, among others. If it were me, I would choose Windows 7 instead of XP, but to each his own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
This is the first time I have heard of someone actually wanting to install ME. ;) Just about all the software that will run on ME will also run on XP and it's much more stable. You can still buy XP but it's not as easy to find as Windows 7.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it

Neither is #2. Windows XP can not be installed on more than one computer at a time, thanks to its Product Activation mechanism.

Just go out and pick up a copy of Windows 7. You can use the upgrade version, just be sure not to register/activate it until AFTER it's completely installed (skip the process when prompted) and you've installed the Boot Camp software package.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.