Mac Mini and linux...

A

agentdunken

See my mom said she would buy me a Mac mini and was wondering if you could dual boot linux and OS 10 with it.... I Herd you could do it with a PowerMac but can you do it with a Mac mini? Also does linux run good on the G4?

I would ask a linux forum but you guys use Macs and my questions have to do with a Mac with linux lol...... Ohh and Mac is unix to so yeah lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
ya, yellow dog and fc4 run for sure

the_new_guy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
just be aware that the airport card wont work and sound is still tricky (from what i last herd anyway)

OP
A

agentdunken

Would it be worth upgrading the ram in the Mac mini to 1GB or would 512MB be enough? Also if going to 1GB could I use any other ram besides Apple ram? Like Geli ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as long as its the same spec it dont matter what ram you use and yea if you can afford 1Gb then deffo go for it and see you mac fly

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yellow dog is okay...its kinda a pain because of the sound issue, i have an imac G5...im actually switching to fedora which i have heard is better...but yes linux and mac mini will run just fine

OP
A

agentdunken

Do you dual boot with Mac and Linux? Is it even worth puting Linux on a Mac? How is OS 10. I know its unix so could I run Linux apps on it like source, RPMS, .bin files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you cant run rpms and its not the exact same as a linux file structure. For one there isnt as many dependancies :p

but it is possible to run some linux apps on a mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.