Ethernet Port Problems

J

jmana9

Hello. I'm trying to set up a network at my aunt's house. One of their computers is an iMac G4, which I have a decent amount of experience using. However, when I try putting the ethernet cable into the mac's ethernet port, it does not fit. There are two little things on the top of the port that prevent the cable from going in. I've tried two ethernet cables, and the same thing happens. I'm using regular CAT-5 patch cables. Below is a picture taken with my camera phone of the ethernet port. This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm not sure why I can't get the cable to go in. I've searched google and the apple help pages, and I can't find anything. Can somebody provide some assistance please?

Thanks!

http://imageserver4.textamerica.com/user.images.x/74/IMG_336574/_0813/T52005081318465310.jpg

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell what that is with the photo you submitted. Can you show it more end on and focus it better? That appears to be the RJ-45 slot. Are you sure there isn't something jammed or broken in the slot?

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
can U post a pic of the cable too? Some special cables made for servers may not fit.

pick one up on ebay that is made for the average computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.