Neck Strain anyone? iMac and your desk setup

Reaction score
Just bought the 27" iMac and yet I'm always finding myself sitting in front of my MacBook.

Using the iMac leads to a very uncomfortable and annoying neck strain. With the height of the iMac display I'll obviously have to consider my desk/ table height along with the seating height. However you can only decrease table height and increase seating height to a certain extent before your legs/knees meet your desk bottom. Seating too high also affects the mouse and keyboard ergonomics. Been wanting this big screen for some time and am looking for a solution to this problem. Any of you experience neck strain due to the iMac 's height combined with your current desk height? What setup did you come up with?

Post pictures to your desk and iMac setup that has helped you avoid neck strain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would suggest mounting it on the wall if that is possible for you. Then you can put it at whatever height you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You may need to look for a different desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I currently have a 5 year old Dell with a 24' wide-screen monitor I can adjust it's height up/down about 3 inches on its stand.

I just bought a 27" iMAC and I didn't even think about this, so I'm just learning that I won't be able to adjust the height on my brand new iMAC:(?

Wall mount is not an option, I have a custom made desk/wall unit where the desk area is in the corner.

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Using the iMac leads to a very uncomfortable and annoying neck strain.

You do realize that your thread title says "Neck Stain" vs. "Neck Strain"???;)

I was expecting to read some sort of a "laundry" based thread!;)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You do realize that your thread title says "Neck Stain" vs. "Neck Strain"???;)

I was expecting to read some sort of a "laundry" based thread!;)

- Nick

lOl ! Nice, neck stain :Cool:

I had to read the title a few times to make sure what I was reading as well. >_>" I was expecting something about Vampires actually.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:) Just noticed the neck "Stain". (Ring around the collar perhaps?)

Edited it for you. Have fun.

Reaction score
When we got our iMac 27 inch, my wife and I both felt the strain on both our necks, and our eyes. You really have to make sure you get that beautiful display mounted at the proper level, and distance from your eyes. Even after adjusting it, we felt some discomfort for a few days or so. Our previous computers had much smaller displays. You'll certainly adjust, but make sure you find the proper placement, so that you don't hurt yourself. (It sounds silly to say that sitting in front of a screen wrong can cause damage, but it can in fact.)

For us, the 27 inch is about well, 23-25 inches from our eyes, and it's on a desk that keeps it at a height so that my wife's eyes hit it about mid screen. It works for her, and it works for me as well. (I've read that you actually want to have the screen an equal distance from your eyes, as the display is large, for example, in this case, if that is true, it should be at least 27 inches from your eyes. But I'm not sure if that's necessary or true)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My 27" iMac is sitting on my desk that is 29" high. I tilt the iMac slightly to get a perfectly good angle. My chair is high enough that my thighs are not hitting the bottom of the table but my hands naturally rest on the table.

I've had no neck strain after extended use of the iMac..being a coder and all..it comes with the territory..

When I first got the iMac with the wireless keyboard, it did take a little while to get used to the small keyboard, but I'm perfectly fine with it..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.