Really thinking of getting a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new here and really looking at finally giving up my PC and moving to a MacBook Pro this is the one that I am looking at but cant decide if I want to upgrade the RAM to 8gig and the Processor to 2.66

15-inch: 2.53GHz
2.53GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

I am a teacher and in the process of getting my masters in educational technology, I have always used a PC, I know how to do everything with a PC from programing to Hardware and Software repair, which might lead to me using bootcamp and doing a dual boot with Windows 7

So I'm just looking on some input on what way to go...should I go with a less expensive MBP to learn or just go all out and get the best......any help would be great.

All the MBPs are a lot of money and I'm just unsure expecally why I am known to go out and get a new PC laptop every year....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The only upgrade path is ram and Hard drive so get the model with the cpu and gpu that
you want and for my personal use the entry level MBP 15 does the job as the new ones are even faster at some things like every year when the model changes. If you lists some of the apps you will be using it would better determine the cpu and gpu.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For Office and CS5, the current processor and RAM will be more than sufficient. You can always upgrade the RAM later on by yourself if you feel 4GB isn't enough. There isn't going to be a noticeable performance difference between the 2.53 and 2.66 GHz processors..

Regards

Reaction score
You will not be disappointed with that machine. I was a long time PC user too. It's a bit awkward at first, there are many differences. But the Macs are known for their longevity. There won't be any more of that "needing a new laptop every year/two years". You're paying a bit more of course, but it's for a machine that will last many times as long, and will run anything Apple will be putting out in the foreseeable future and beyond. Where with Windows, it's hit or miss whether their current machines will run what's around the corner. Apple gives you a great deal of peace of mind.

I just got my Macbook Pro 17 inch today, and it is a thing of beauty. The battery is showing 8 hours and 30 minutes left, and I have been using it unplugged for about 45 minutes already. Naturally that will go down if you turn the brightness up, leave the keyboard lights on, etc. But even with everything full bright and on, it was showing 4 hours. (Again, naturally if you're working on something, that will probably be cut by a fair bit) I use CS5 and iWork, so I can't speak for Office, but CS5 is like lightning on this thing.

You won't be sorry if you buy the laptop you are looking at. And it will last you a very long time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.