I am at a loss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo
Hello fine, knowledgeable people of the Mac Forums. You have come to my aid before and I do hope you will be able to help this time.

I have noticed there are a lot of posts here about wireless not working on the Windows side when one partitions their hard drive. That is indeed my problem. I have read all of these posts, and have followed some of the suggestions but to no avail.

Here is what I am working with:
MacBook Pro
Mac OSX 10.58 (This is Snow Leopard, correct?)
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

This is the problem I am having: When running Windows I can access the Internet with an ethernet cable. But when I unplug it, I can still actually load a page and it says I am connected to my local network, but it won't go any further than slowly loading a page. (That seems better than some of the issues I have seen here with wireless not working at all.) At least I am connected but something is preventing it from properly loading.

When I installed Bootcamp it was version 2.0. I tried to upgrade the latest drivers (When running Windows) but it said that I needed to have 3.0 Bootcamp or later. So how could I do that? Uninstall Bootcamp and start all over again?

I also heard that I should put in my Windows disc and look for driver update or something like that. When I put in that disc the only option is to install Windows. I see no other choices.

Let's see. what else have I tried?

I have noticed the two issues are volume and wireless. For instance, when I play a PC game (EQ2) my volume is all the way up yet it sounds about halfway capacity. That definitely seems like a driver problem.

So it seems to me that I need some kind of update or upgrade but I don't know what it is.

I put the Snow Leopard disc in when running Windows (At least I think I have Snow Leopard) and it installed but still no progress.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Just wanted to give as much detail as possible. So to sum up, Internet works in Windows with ethernet cable and is slow-hardly loads with wireless.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hollyoak

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp 2.x was bundled with OS X 10.5. Boot Camp 3.x is bundled with OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

If you want to upgrade to the latest driver package for your Boot Camp version, you would simply run Apple Software Update from within Windows and get the latest package.

I would also recommend running Windows Update and checking the optional updates and see if there's any driver updates recommended for the wireless adapter.

Reaction score
First and foremost: Snow Leopard is OS X "10.6.whatever." If you see "10.5.whatever" on your Mac, you have the previous generation, which is simply called "Leopard."

Secondly, you got through that whole rambling post without mentioning the version of Windows you are using. It may be Windows XP, or Windows Vista, or Windows 7. Wireless is configured differently under all these, and Leopard may not even have wireless drivers for Vista and/or Windows 7.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo
First and foremost: Snow Leopard is OS X "10.6.whatever." If you see "10.5.whatever" on your Mac, you have the previous generation, which is simply called "Leopard."

Secondly, you got through that whole rambling post without mentioning the version of Windows you are using. It may be Windows XP, or Windows Vista, or Windows 7. Wireless is configured differently under all these, and Leopard may not even have wireless drivers for Vista and/or Windows 7.

Thanks for pointing out my rambling logorrhea. That makes me feel really good. LOL. It's Windows 7.

Reaction score
Fortunately, they have antibiotics now for logorrhea ... :) To upgrade Boot Camp, as noted above, you need to download and install the updated version from within Windows. I also recommend, if your hardware is up to it, to purchase the Snow Leopard upgrade from Apple for $29. That disk also has all the latest drivers on it as well. Both the updated drivers and updated version of BC will be what fixes you up.

In addition, for Win7, you really need to run the latest BC version - so these steps are highly recommended. Older versions of BC have documented issues with Win7.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks SammySlim, for the antibiotics tip.

Now this is really weird. When I took my laptop to my office this week (I work from home) I launched Windows and connected to the office Wireless. So Windows does connect wirelessly. But why not at my house? Could it be some kind of router/modem problem? That's the only thing I can think of since it works outside of the home on a wireless network.

Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Has Windows ever worked on your home network wirelessly?
If not, then it's probably something in your router configuration or permissions that has to be set up. I always have to open the app that came with my router to tell it to recognize and allow a new device. That's a personal setting I have to only allow what I manually tell it to allow. Yours might not be the same, but it's possible.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MYmacROX. (I edited my details.)

No, since installing Windows through Bootcamp, Wireless doesn't work at home. A page will load but then it just freezes up. But now that I know it works outside my house, it eliminates all the other things I thought it could be like problems with Bootcamp, driver issues, upgrades, etc. I most likely think it is, as you pointed out, a router problem.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.