• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Steve Jobs taking leave of absence

Reaction score
I heard the news today! I hope Steve Jobs makes a full recovery and returns! It will take a while, but things will change significantly at Apple if he doesn't return! This man strives for perfection and nothing less and he has his hand in everything that the company builds. I do know how much he believes in Tim Cook and he has served as CEO while Steve was absent all the other times and sure the iphone 4 and the ipad landed the way they were supposed to BUT what about the next line of innovations? If Mr. Jobs' illness is serious this time and he doesn't return the new line of Apple products may not be as "Great" as they were when Apple was ran by Steve Jobs. What I'm saying is based on all the stuff I read about him over the years is that I don't think another CEO will strive like Steve did, especially when it gets cold out. Tim will probably sent someone else to check things out while he drinks his coffee...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Here is the memo that was sent to the Apple staff.

Apple Media Advisory | Business Wire
Team,

At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple’s day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.

I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch (Mid-2010)
Since his return to Apple in 1997 Steve Jobs has been masterful at reviving the company at first, then making it soar. My hope is for Steve Jobs health to improve. If, on the other hand it does not, let's hope that Tim Cook and everyone at Apple have learned how to lead as well as Steve Jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Kind of makes you wonder if the Apple stock was/is a bubble inflated by media hype, over exposure and personality. I certainly hope not and I'm sure time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Kind of makes you wonder if the Apple stock was/is a bubble inflated by media hype, over exposure and personality. I certainly hope not and I'm sure time will tell.
I think it is to an extent cause most people and investors think Apple=Steve Jobs. They forget or simply don't know about Cook, Schiller, Ive (who I think it a genius) and the others who helped design the hardware/software and ensure Apple is as financially successful as it is today.

Apple has all the talent there. Steve Jobs just know exactly how to make the talent preform in the best way possible. The successor (most likely Cook at this stage) needs to do the same. Needs to know the right people to hire, and how to let genius flourish uninhibited at Apple like it does now. And the rest will sort itself out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has all the talent there. Steve Jobs just know exactly how to make the talent preform in the best way possible. The successor (most likely Cook at this stage) needs to do the same. Needs to know the right people to hire, and how to let genius flourish uninhibited at Apple like it does now. And the rest will sort itself out.

Spot on. Leadership is what it's all about. Whether it's in the business world, government, military, etc, makes no difference. Steve is a leader and knows how to get the best from people.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Spot on. Leadership is what it's all about. Whether it's in the business world, government, military, etc, makes no difference. Steve is a leader and knows how to get the best from people.

I'm very very very concerned about Steve Jobs and for Apple. Firstly for Steve Jobs because pancreatic & liver cancers are VERY difficult to recover from (especially pancreatic cancer)!!!

Secondly...anybody that has been an Apple and/or Mac-user for a long time (or knows Apple's history as a company)...knows that for the most part...when Steve Jobs is is part of Apple (in any capacity) Apple is doing well.

Apple Timeline:

- 1976-1985 Apple is a mostly successful company...continuing to grow (Steve Jobs is one of the founders of the company)
- 1985 Steve Jobs is forced out of the company due to an internal "power struggle"
- Apple does ok launching "decent" products like the "All-In-One" Macintosh, MacPlus, Mac SE, and Mac II computers from 1985-1990
- 1990-1997...the really "SUCKY" years for Apple (no Steve Jobs)
- 1997-present Steve Jobs rejoins the company...and Apple does AWESOME...releasing the iMac, iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc. etc. etc.

Basically (and for the most part)...when Steve Jobs is part of the company...Apple is really doing well...being VERY creative, very daring, and definitely pushing the envelope MUCH more than the rest of the computer industry.

Without Steve Jobs...(for the most part)...Apple has struggled.:(

I'm really hoping & praying for Steve Jobs to "pull-thru" this current "medical leave"!!!:):):) Hoping for the best...but prepared for the worst.

Of course there are just my humble opinions & experience as a 25+ year Apple/Macintosh user.

-Nick

Reaction score
I'm very very very concerned about Steve Jobs and for Apple. Firstly for Steve Jobs because pancreatic & liver cancers are VERY difficult to recover from (especially pancreatic cancer)!!!

Secondly...anybody that has been an Apple and/or Mac-user for a long time (or knows Apple's history as a company)...knows that for the most part...when Steve Jobs is is part of Apple (in any capacity) Apple is doing well.

Apple Timeline:

- 1976-1985 Apple is a mostly successful company...continuing to grow (Steve Jobs is one of the founders of the company)
- 1985 Steve Jobs is forced out of the company due to an internal "power struggle"
- Apple does ok launching "decent" products like the "All-In-One" Macintosh, MacPlus, Mac SE, and Mac II computers from 1985-1990
- 1990-1997...the really "SUCKY" years for Apple (no Steve Jobs)
- 1997-present Steve Jobs rejoins the company...and Apple does AWESOME...releasing the iMac, iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc. etc. etc.

Basically (and for the most part)...when Steve Jobs is part of the company...Apple is really doing well...being VERY creative, very daring, and definitely pushing the envelope MUCH more than the rest of the computer industry.

Without Steve Jobs...(for the most part)...Apple has struggled.:(

I'm really hoping & praying for Steve Jobs to "pull-thru" this current "medical leave"!!!:):):) Hoping for the best...but prepared for the worst.

Of course there are just my humble opinions & experience as a 25+ year Apple/Macintosh user.

-Nick

Thank you!!! You killed it!!! Apple= Steve Jobs!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To pigoo3:

You are right and you are also wrong.
You are right cause you are on the money that in the Non-Steve years the Apple products were not the best.

But you are wrong if you think this is 100% to do with Steve being there. In the Non-Steve years the Apple team was pretty shonky. The Pepsi guy and the others had no idea about discovering and hiring genius and making sure they stay at Apple. And also no idea at innovating good products. You know the saying, a chain or team is only as strong as it's weakest link. Apple in the 90's failed because there was no plan to do things well when Steve left. It was just "Hmmm now he's gone we'll just do whatever we want to".

Fast forward to now and his 2 recent time outs for medical. I'm sure everything was planned to the finest of details before hand so if anything happened to any to Steve, that for at least a short while the wheels would move smoothly.

I'd be more worried personally if Ive or Schiller or Cook etc took a medical time out. As they are the brains behind Apple. They make it tick from day to day. They run the teams who invent the products/manage the finances. Yes Steve is the head honcho. But I'm sure most of the underlings at the Cupertino campus would report directly to the Senior VP's and not Jobs.

As a CEO there is only 2 things you look for in a VP or many VP's as you have in Apple. Firstly that they can do their jobs brilliantly. And secondly that when you (the CEO) tales a leave of absence of retires that they don't go screw everything up and stick to the methods that worked while you were in power. And I'm sure Jobs has full faith that his VPs will preform both of those tasks.

But all of that matters not to 99% of the population who incorrectly see Apple as = Steve Jobs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.