Image Backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hey guys,

I just bought ANOTHER externall HDD to use as a backup drive. It's currently formatted to NTFS (I can read and write to it in Mac OS X because I have NTFS-3G and MacFuse) but I will be formatting it to HFS+. I'm looking at setting up a backup to firstly do a full backup (an image, not just files copied) of my internal HDD in my MBP, and then do weekly incremental backups to add any new files to the saved backup image. So then if my MacBook Pro does crash, I can restore the image and everything will be exactly the same as I left it. I use ShadowProtect in Windows so I was looking for something similar. But I really want incremental backups.

Also, what is an app like Unstoppable Coppier (like in Window) for Mac? I want to copy all the files from my NTFS HDD to Mac, then format the HDD to HFS+. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ben

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should already know both of these - SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner for full and incremental bootable backups.

edit:
Oh, and of course Time Machine...

OP
benparko
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
You should already know both of these

Why should I already know both of these? I was using a Windows Server to backup over the network prior, so I've had no need to loo into Mac specific backup solutions. So no I didn't already know about SuperDuper and CarbonCopy.

I've decided to go with SuperDuper.

Thanks for your input however.

Regards,

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.