Help! MacBook Pro won't Boot!

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBookPro and it started acting very strange. I was getting the rainbow whenever I tried to do anything, kept restarting, didn't help. Now it is going to the gray screen and won't boot. It gets about 1/3 of the way and stops, then shuts down by itself. I have tried rebooting using the system disk, and disk repair, but it said the disk can't be repaired. This kind of freaks me out. I have run out of options, don't know what to do. I have 2 Macs, this one is a G4 that I am using to write to you. They are both linked in a network and they are set up to back up to Time Machine. Time Machine was set up by my Mac Technician, but he has moved and I have no one to help. It seems the problem is related to Time Machine, I think. It was set up to backup once a day, but I was getting ChronoSync notices on my email saying it had run, with errors. It was backing up about once every 2 hours. When the backups would start, the machine would slow way down and sometimes have to be restarted. At the same time Safari started quitting for no reason. Can you help? I have tried safe start up, starting with control option p+r, none helped. Joanne

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I upgraded to snow leopard, and it worked fine for a while. Then I installed and used Toast 10. That was the last time I could start my MacBook pro. It does the same thing you mentioned. It tries to start and then just quits.I have had Macs for the past 16 years and never had this kind of trouble. I don't like upgrades. They always seem to cause troulbe on the PC we have at work also.

OP
J
Reaction score
My computer was trying to do upgrades when it went belly up. I have noticed several people posted to various sites that this has happened to them as well. But most of the posts are old, and I have tried all of their solutions to no avail. Let me know if you figure it out. Thanks for posting back to me.

Reaction score
Had to erase and reinstall 10.4

After trying as many things as I could find, I finally gave up and erased the disk and reinstalled 10.4 from the disks that came with my laptop. I may just have to be happy with that. It worked fine until I updated to Snow Leopard. It has too many problems.

After doing all that, I found this on the internet. It's about 32bit or 64bit. This may be some or all of the problem that I had. It could be that Toast is not compatable with Snow Leopard because of this.

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.