Migration Assistant (or other?) Troubles

Reaction score
Hi-

To give a little background to my issue... my macbook has been acting a little glitchy lately, it freezes up often. When it froze, I would restart. This morning, it froze, I restarted, but I could never get past the grey screen with the Apple logo. I tried many different things to get around this, including using the command + option + p + r trick, battery reset, booting from my snow leopard install disk and running disk utilities.... basically nothing was working.

I was reading on the Apple support page that you can do a "archive and install," which I gather would archive my data and then reinstall osx? I did miss that this seems to cover most osx versions except for the one I'm running. I did not notice this until after I clicked install, and now I have a working version of snow leopard running over my previous not-working version.

My question is this: how do I get my data from my old install into my new one. When I booted up after the reinstall, I went through the whole setup for a new mac. When I get to the part where it asks if I want to transfer data, I say "yes, from this very computer that I'm using," but lo and behold, no data is found. It is stuck looking. I tried using migration assistant, and I get the same results, which is to say NO results, it just looks and looks but nothing ever happens.

I'm positive my files are all there still, the disk space is taken up. I can see the old user file, but I have no way of getting to it. All my applications are present and accounted for.

Sorry for the novel, but I thought a little background might provide some insight. Thanks :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Nevermind, I figured it out. I could see that file folders for my other user account in finder, though I couldn't open them. But, I did discover that I can drag and drop them to the desktop or to wherever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.