Help! White screen,no keyboard response

Reaction score
Turned on macbook today, but got just a white/grey screen , no indication of onscreen booting/start up and the keyboard is not responding,ie no caps lock or num lock lights displaying. Desperate to find a way of getting her going again,...your ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
A blank white screen at start is usually a good indicator that the hard drive has failed. If you feel comfortable removing the drive, I'd do so, and boot from the system disk (can't say CDs anymore, now that the Air comes on thumb drives!) that came with the computer. If you get a normal boot from the restore media, then you'll need to replace the hard drive and see if you can salvage anything from the old drive if necessary.

If you don't feel comfortable removing the drive, take it to an Apple service provider and have them test it.

Reaction score
I have the same problem I think I turned on my MacBook today and all I got was a White/grayish screen with the apple logo in black , it has a circle spinning all the time and my keyboard won't responde. All I hear is the start up and that's it . So does that mean my hard drive gone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Pammy - possibly, but in your case, the system is seeing that a hard drive is there, a volume is available for booting, but booting never finishes. Your issue might be a software-only issue. It would be worth booting to the system CD that came with your computer and running Disk Utility to verify and repair any directory corruption that it might find. If it doesn't report a hardware error, possibly an archive installation of the operating system might resolve it.

Hard drive issues are trial and error at best. They can stem from an actual hardware issue with the drive mechanism, a "head crash" where the read heads touch the platters (very bad), a bad circuit board on the drive, or just software corruption that a reinstall might fix. Having someone experienced look at the drive before you do anything is always a good first step.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback :) I rebooted it and put in the disc it loads up but at the end it said it couldn't install would there any reason .so I have started back again installing the DVD it does say ave disk two ready but didn't get that far :/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you booting from the DVD and did you run a verify and repair of the hard drive as you were advised? When the machine boots from the DVD you should not allow the install to continue but instead click on the top menu "Utilities", and then "Disk Utility".

When the Disk Utility application opens, highlight your hard drive on the left side (capacity entry). Then click on the First Aid tab on the right. From there you can run a Verify and Repair. Let us know what it reports.

Reaction score
I got my disk I got with my laptop and it pressing cd. It restarted the laptop and ask me if I like to erase my mac disk. So I said yes continue. So the first time round it said at the end it could not re booth so I tried it the 2nd time and it ask for 2nd disk. So it has rebooted now it's back up and running which is great it's a bit slow at the beginning , but I'm delighted now thanks everyone for your help. Sorry if I haven't explained it fully up above. :) hope you get the jist of what I'm saying lol. so hopefully no problems. I have my laptop 2 years I hate to lose it. I love all my macs I don't want any of them to fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.