I want to get a new iMac but I am afraid, help?

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Hi,

I want to upgrade my 2.5 year old iMac with a new Mac.
The only problem is I didn't have any real good experience with the iMac so far.
After 6 months of having it my Power Supply died and I had to go to the Apple Store.
6 months later the LCD Panel started having persistent images all over the screen and I had to take it again to the Apple Store where they replaced the faulty panel and returned the computer to me after 1.5 weeks.
Of course now 1 year later I don't have warranty and the persistent images returned big time and also the iMac overheats sometimes (gets to 55 degrees easily).

The question is if I should upgrade to a new 27" iMac or should I just get a Mac Pro for twice the price? (the iMac always seems like a sure bargain next to it). Do the iMacs still have those problems?

Also it's funny that the iMacs get pretty old after 2 years because they lack the option of upgrading except for RAM.

I don't do irregular things on my Mac, mainly Web developing & designing, Adobe CS5, recording music through Logic Studio 9 and Gaming.

What do you guys think? I will really appreciate your comments =]

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All I can say is...many many many many many (is that enough many's);)...people have purchased Macintosh computers & have had absolutely no problems.:)

So I would say...go for a new Mac if you feel it's time to purchase one/upgrade.:)

- Nick

p.s. I would say go for the i5 or i7 27" iMac...it's just a great value!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
You must have gotten a lemon. I would take it up with Apple to have them fix it; it seems like you might have a case since it has happened before. Maybe they'll fix it so you can sell it and get a new one ;).

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
You must have gotten a lemon. I would take it up with Apple to have them fix it; it seems like you might have a case since it has happened before. Maybe they'll fix it so you can sell it and get a new one ;).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Haha I don't think Apple will fix it, my warranty expired like a year ago lol and also for me to go to the Apple Store is 1.5 hours drive =\

Anyways, I still want to know if the new iMacs are preferable (price and reliability wise) over the new 27 iMac?

C

chas_m

I don't understand the last question in your post.

But hey, you don't have to take our word that Macs are the most reliable computers on the market and you just happened to get a lemon ... Consumer Reports and PC Magazine (and PC World and many others) rate Apple #1 in reliability and have done for years. That's (cumulatively) more than 100,000 Mac owners polled, and in many cases it's not just that Apple is a point or two better than the other guy ... it's often a landslide or large percentage higher.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And 55 degrees is not, I repeat... not, over heating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.