Changing Dock Icons Manually

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
There was a few posts back awhile ago in the desktop customization thread about finding a way to change the dock icons without using an app like candybar. I figured out there is the way to do it so I figured I would share:

As we had discovered in the prior thread the source files for the trashcan and the finder icons are located here:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Content/Resources/

They are all saved there as PNG files. By adjusting/replacing these files you can then change them in the dock.

The piece we were missing was that the system cache still holds the current images being used in the dock... even when you reboot... so any changes won't take effect until you use a program like 'Yasu' to clear the system/user cache. Once you clear that out... You will see your new icons.

So there you have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I can't get this to work. Have searched through forums and google but my trash can doesn't change. I've used Yasu to clear all caches. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Ad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.