Very New Macbook Keeps Crashing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had my Macbook for a couple of weeks and I don't do anything other than browsing and such. Since then, it has crashed 3 times: twice on the 14th (Error code: 0x00000000 and 0x00000002) and once just now (Error code: 0x00000000) for no apparent reason. I have the PANIC logs but I don't understand them.

I emailed Amazon (where I bought the Macbook) and asked to return it as a defective item, they suggested I contact Apple first and try to resolve it. BUT I don't want to lose time and end up unable to return it and I would rather get another one than have to deal with this. I also have a feeling Amazon want me to try that first so they don't have to deal with a defective item.

I'm freaking out because I really like this Macbook, it's my first and I enjoy it so much. I just don't want to be stuck with an unstable machine.

Should I return it as defective or fix it? What are these errors all about? Any advice?

Thanks for reading this message and for your potential help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't matter where you purchased it. The Apple warranty is for one year so it's best to take it on in to the nearest Apple store and let an Apple genius look at it. If the machine is defective, the Apple store may be able to exchange it for another. Make sure you ask Amazon about that first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... The only apple store available to me is far, far away. I don't have time to travel and pay the cost of that as well... so I called Amazon and they gave me a defective item returns label. Today they collected the MacBook. I guess we'll wait and see what happens and if they actually refund me or send it back, in which case I will complain A LOT.

I mean, it's a couple weeks old and I bought it for a lot of money. It SHOULD work and it shouldn't crash like that! Kept my panic logs as proof just in case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, you did the right thing. Amazon is very good about returns and warranty. I don't know what their policy is regarding computers they sell but since your machine is new, it's certainly covered under Apple's warranty. Hopefully, Amazon will exchange it for a new one. Keep us posted on that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello,

Just to update you all. I returned the MacBook last week and today Amazon authorised a full refund (I asked for a refund and not an exchange). So glad this chapter is over and I'm happy they didn't send it back to me. They didn't say if they tested it but on their defective items returns page they mention that they test items before refunding anything... Guess they either tested it and found it faulty or they didn't bother.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" Unibody, 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram, 250GB HD
Glad it worked out for you; now you can plan a trip to the Apple store and get it from there. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Amazon has always been good regarding refunds and\or exchanges. I hope this experience with the defective Mac doesn't sour you on purchasing another. Even the best of things we buy can sometimes turn out to be defective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.