New to Mac, already having problems.... (Considering returning this 27" Imac)

Reaction score
Hey guys..

Well for one, I am a big fan of the iMac. I just switched over because I thought it would be a lot better than windows.

Up until now I've been trying to install flash 10.1 for about 2 hours now.
I have uninstalled it, installed it, restarted, uninstalled, restarted, installed, restarted.

Nothing worked.

Now apparently something is supposed to show up in Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Well let me tell you there is NOTHING in there after I install Flash 10.1.

I'm running an iMac 27" with osx 10.6.6

Can someone help me? Do I really need to get firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hey guys..

Well for one, I am a big fan of the iMac. I just switched over because I thought it would be a lot better than windows.

Up until now I've been trying to install flash 10.1 for about 2 hours now.
I have uninstalled it, installed it, restarted, uninstalled, restarted, installed, restarted.

Nothing worked.

Now apparently something is supposed to show up in Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Well let me tell you there is NOTHING in there after I install Flash 10.1.

I'm running an iMac 27" with osx 10.6.6

Can someone help me? Do I really need to get firefox?

What makes you think there needs to be something in that folder ?
Check this link to verify if Flash is installed.
Find Flash Player version

Also, I don't get your last sentence about Firefox .... I don't see the relationship with the rest of your post.

Are we mixing multiple problems here ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes....

I tried watching youtube, it said to install latest version of flash..

So I downloaded flash from that exact link you just posted...

and I installed it...

it said installed succesfully...

and then I went back into youtube and still says update your flash player to view this video.

Thanks but.. thats not the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont return it yet !!!!

Dont get FF. There is Chrome, Camio, Opera and Safari just to name a few for you to play with. Safaris extension gallery is getting bigger by the day so it catches up with FF for functionality . . . . Someone will come and help you with a fix for the Flash ... Im off to work

Cheers

EDIT : And there you go ^^^ Too slow this morning

OP
M
Reaction score
What makes you think there needs to be something in that folder ?
Check this link to verify if Flash is installed.
Find Flash Player version

Also, I don't get your last sentence about Firefox .... I don't see the relationship with the rest of your post.

Are we mixing multiple problems here ?

Cheers ... McBie

No... I've heard many times that flash does not work on safari and you need to get another browser.

I was wondering if I need to download firefox to fix the issue.

Edit: That link is telling me "Get Adobe Flashplayer" so apparently I dont have one installed at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You do not need to get Firefox. Install Flash player quit safari and re-open and see if it works. If not then install, quit, logout, log back in and try view videos again.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No... I've heard many times that flash does not work on safari and you need to get another browser.
?

Well ill tell you that you where led up the garden path with this one. It can well and truely support flash. Mind you in Safari it is a Hog but i have ClicktoFlash installed and i have a option to add a page/site to my whitelist . . . . Worth a look

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Safari can handle Flash just fine - MobileSafari can't (the version of Safari in iOS).

There are two Internet Plug-Ins folders - one in /Library and one in ~/Library (~ = home directory). Flash installs itself to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (that would be Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plug-Ins assuming you didn't change the name of your HD) so if it's not there, it's not installed properly.

To check to see if your browser recognizes it, do the following:
a. For Safari, go to Help > Installed Plug-ins. It should be listed under "Shockwave Flash." The version will be there.
b. For Firefox, go to the URL "about:plugins" (yes, that is a valid URL). Again, look under "Shockwave Flash" to see what version it recognizes as installed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey! Thanks a lot for the info. I found there was a bunch of them in the internet plug in spot. I removed them all, ran uninstaller, restarted, installed, restarted and its finally working!

Lets hope this is not one of many bumps in the road :p

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just remember when you get a little frustrated you are learning a whole new way of doing things and whatever you may have done in Windows sometimes bears no relationship to how things work on your iMac.

Keep coming back eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, it's an entirely different operating system that you need to troubleshoot in a different way. But you'll get the hang of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac OX 10.6.6 3.06 GHz i3/4GB ram 500GB HD, 3rd gen iTouch
I am having the same problem with flash 10.1 on my new imac running 10.6.6.

YouTube says I need to download adobe flashplayer 10. I'm running Safari.
In my HD>Library>Internet plug ins there is a version of flashplayer. When I >get info, it says it is 10.1, downloaded today. But when I go to YouTube it says I still need to download flashplayer 10

How do I do this: "a. For Safari, go to Help > Installed Plug-ins. It should be listed under "Shockwave Flash." The version will be there." Where is the Help located? if it is in the bar across the top of the mac, I only get related search topics.

Also we have the exact same computer set up downstairs, and it is running without any problems (same OS, same FP version).

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm ready to pull my hair out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac OX 10.6.6 3.06 GHz i3/4GB ram 500GB HD, 3rd gen iTouch
Feeling stupid that I didn't try this before, but I just tried restarting the computer and FP 10.1 is working now. Sigh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.