Syncing Iphone emails and home computer emails?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iPhone 4 and I have added my gmail and hotmail accounts to it.

How do I sync it to my macbook pro, so that when I delete an email off iphone (on either account) it deletes off my email when I log on, with macbook pro? And vice versa?

Thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to be using IMAP (which gmail supports, not sure about hotmail) on both your mac and your iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
There are two basic types of email services. POP3 and IMAP.

POP3 is the most basic type. Emails are stored on a server only until you retrieve them with your computer (or phone). When you check your email, the emails are physically downloaded off the server, into your computer, and then deleted from the server. This arrangement works well if you only check your email using the same device every time. This type of service is typically free, as you are responsible for keeping the downloaded emails safe on your computer. The downside of this arrangement is that the emails cannot be synced among multiple devices.

IMAP email is stored on a server. When you check your email, whatever device you are using simply displays what is on the server. The emails are left on the server until you manually delete them. When you delete, mark read/unread, etc on one device, the change is made on the server, and immediately reflected on all other devices that are viewing the same set of emails. This is obviously a superior arrangement, however, it requires a large amount of storage space on the server to maintain everyone's emails, so it's not typically offered for free. (Gmail is the exception.)

Gmail can be configured as either POP3 or IMAP. Sounds like your setup as POP3 and want to be setup as IMAP.

Unfortunately, this won't be an option with Hotmail...

If syncing the hotmail account is an absolute must, there are services which can basically convert a POP3 account to an IMAP account for about $5 a month, such as Mobile Email & Push Email Services | mail2web.com

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for advice! Jaygray, very thorough response:)
I managed to sync my gmail account, and found info on web on how to do it with hotmail.
Hotmail syncing is done using microsoft exchange on the iphone.

Kind regards,

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.