Virtual Machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello there,

I have never had good experiences with virtual machines like Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion running Windows on a Macintosh computer. However, I am sick of Boot Camp and I use Macintosh 95% of the time.

The only time I use Windows is when I want to play an online game. The problem is that the virtual machine uses only 64MB of the video card's memory and that cannot run any game, however light it is.

I haven't tried to use a virtual machine in a very long time and I am not sure if they have updated that. Did they?

These are the requirements of the game I play:

34g6ff7.png

Just tell me which virtual machine is better, or more like which did you have a better experience with? I have tried both and I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference since they both couldn't run any games. But that was a long, long time ago.

Thank you, guys. Any information is appreciated.

Reaction score
VMs and Games

For gaming, using Virtual Machines are a non-starter. They are ok for playing games via a Web Browser such as Flash or Java based games but not 3D games.

For games, you have to use Bootcamp so that you have full access to your hardware esp. 3D accelerated graphics card.
:(

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with that. Dual booting is seriously time-consuming, though, and for some reason when I installed Windows XP the computer kept freezing after around fifteen minutes of usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with that. Dual booting is seriously time-consuming, though, and for some reason when I installed Windows XP the computer kept freezing after around fifteen minutes of usage.

How much hard drive space and ram did you allocate for it?

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
60GB space and 1.5GB of RAM. Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
60GB space and 1.5GB of RAM. Why?

I have seen where not enough is the culprit but not so in your case. Might want to look at Parallel's web site I think you can allocate more video ram which
would help.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I'll check it out, thanks. I actually picked Parallels over VMWare Fusion after reading this thorough review and comparison. I'll check their website out and hope they have some information about video ram.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Save yourself the trouble and don't waste your money. As the other reply advised, stick with Boot Camp as your game is not going to play in Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox. The requirements are too high.

As for having to reboot, consider using the very nice rEFIt boot manager. It makes it very easy to dual boot and is free.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, chscag. I took a look at the website and looks very helpful. Thank you so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.