Format Ex hdd to hfs+ and fat32

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
Hi Guys

Im looking for an app that can format an external hdd to hfs+ and for the hdd to also have a fat 32 partition. I know how to use disk utility to format the drive to fat32 but it hasnt got the option to format another partition to hfs+.

Are there any apps out there that can do this?

I have a intel 24 inch imac running osx 10.5.8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest you look again, because that option certainly exists in Disk Utility.

You are looking for 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It is the first option in the drop down menu.

("+" is 'Extended')

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sure I tried that format and it didnt work.
What I am trying to do is format it for use with the Microsoft XBox so I can put larger files on it over 4gb.

The xbox only supports hfs+ and not ntfs which is Microsofts native format lol...

Ill give it a go a bit later but as stated im sure I have tried that option....

It was a bit of a pig to get the other partition in to fat32.... You cant select fat32 for the other partition in disc util
Ended up swapping over to bootcamp and running eausus partition maker formatting both partitions to fat 32 the swapping back to disk utility to format 1 partition in journalled extended...
There must be a easier way

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nevermind, I'll stay out of the whether it works or not - been too long out of the Xbox 360 game.

You can however select FAT32 in Disk Utility - It is called "MS-DOS (FAT)" there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im sure I tried that format and it didnt work.
What I am trying to do is format it for use with the Microsoft XBox so I can put larger files on it over 4gb.

The xbox only supports hfs+ and not ntfs which is Microsofts native format lol...

Are you sure of that? I know it supports FAT-32 and MS will specifically tell you that would limit it to a file size of 4GB. However, in the X-Box KB which you can find on ms.com it talks about interoperability with Vista and XP neither of which can read or write to HFS+. I suspect that the X-box supports NTFS not HFS+.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure of that? I know it supports FAT-32 and MS will specifically tell you that would limit it to a file size of 4GB. However, in the X-Box KB which you can find on ms.com it talks about interoperability with Vista and XP neither of which can read or write to HFS+. I suspect that the X-box supports NTFS not HFS+.

Nope it supports HFS+, NTFS is not recognised...
The only problem is, is you cant save xbox stuff on it when in HTFS+. But if you want to watch a bluray that you have ripped from your original copy it comes in handy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand what you mean now. Slight mixup of terminology. :)
Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.