iMac DVD stuck - desperate help needed!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the YouTube link - unfortunately the disk spins but is nowhere near trying to eject.

I'll have a search for a repair manual... although I'm not too confident in pulling my Mac to pieces.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Here's one more thing to try first:

a. Turn the machine OFF.
b. Move the computer so that the optical drive is pointing DOWN over the edge of a table. Make SURE you are holding it properly so you don't drop the computer.
c. Turn the computer on and hold the mouse key down (the normal way to eject a disk at startup ... unless the motor is totally dead, it WILL try to eject). Let gravity do the rest.

We've had a number of reports of success with this method here. No guarantees, but if that doesn't work you'll know you've tried everything prior to disassembling the drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Here's one more thing to try first:

a. Turn the machine OFF.
b. Move the computer so that the optical drive is pointing DOWN over the edge of a table. Make SURE you are holding it properly so you don't drop the computer.
c. Turn the computer on and hold the mouse key down (the normal way to eject a disk at startup ... unless the motor is totally dead, it WILL try to eject). Let gravity do the rest.

We've had a number of reports of success with this method here. No guarantees, but if that doesn't work you'll know you've tried everything prior to disassembling the drive.

Okay - we are almost there!

Machine off overnight and rebooted. I now have the disc icon and the drive is trying to eject - I now get the spin and click as though the disk is going to pop out.

Have also tried the 'gravity' solution - so close but not quite grabbing the darn disk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time for a new optical drive. iMacs and laptops sure go through a lot of these drives.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I've booked the machine with a tech later this week - we will see if the drive is gone.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay guys...

I spent a few hours late last night and managed to crack my Mac, take out the drive - I then cracked the drive to remove the DVD.

I rebuilt the drive and reinstalled and the same problem - therfore the drive is screwed. Thanks chscag for the link to the Fixit guides!!!!

Now that I am confident I can replace the optical drive - where do I start to look for a replacement drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay guys...

I rebuilt the drive and reinstalled and the same problem - therfore the drive is screwed. Thanks chscag for the link to the Fixit guides!!!!

Now that I am confident I can replace the optical drive - where do I start to look for a replacement drive?

Great job. Always makes me happy to hear someone has "dug" in and repaired his Mac. Just make sure you replace it with a good quality drive not a cheap knockoff. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.