Taking care of my MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hi, so I have had a MBP for 28 weeks (according to coconut battery). It says I have 98 % of battery function. It has 81 battery load cycles. So what I am wondering is, will my battery last longer if I have it plugged in will it keep the battery in good shape? Or will it not matter? Also, should I leave my computer off when not using it? I feel like it's a no brainer, being as the parts will not be in motion, leaving room for a longer overall life of the product. What benefits are there to turning it off?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Long story made short, your battery should last you about 5 years under normal use. Keeping it plugged in won't hurt it, but you should recalibrate it periodically (do a full discharge by using the machine normally and not plugging it into power until it goes to sleep for lack of a charge, then charge it fully before waking it from sleep).

You should never need to turn it off, unless you're going to be leaving it for a long period of time (think: days or weeks, not hours). When you're done with it, you can safely just close the lid.

All of this, and a lot more information are available here:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read that information page before, but thank you for the link. About turning it off, I was just thinking that if it is off, none of the hardware is moving, making it less likely to wear out earlier than normal. Or is it such a minor difference that it is not worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have read that information page before, but thank you for the link. About turning it off, I was just thinking that if it is off, none of the hardware is moving, making it less likely to wear out earlier than normal. Or is it such a minor difference that it is not worth it?

Electronics from any brand could fail right out of the box ,next week,month or
last years its a flip of the coin there are no rules use it as needed replace when
broke or inadequate for the job.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That I understand. But is it better to leave it off?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

In sleep mode, none of the parts are moving either. Basically the computer uses just enough energy to keep the content of memory alive. So, no, there is no cost to longevity.

Some things that could add wear and tear over time would be running silly fan control programs (SMCFanControl comes to mind) and jostling the machine around a lot while it's running. But for the most part, these things are built to last a good long time. They're not 'disposable' machines like your average $400 Windows laptop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That I understand. But is it better to leave it off?

The part most likely to fail due to turning a computer on & off is the hard drive (because it is a mechanical spinning device). It's actuality the starting & stopping (spinning up & spinning down) of hard drives which wears them out more quickly.

So technically speaking...to maximize the life of a computers hard drive...you should never shut a computer off or let a hard drive "go to sleep".:)

But in the "real world" this is not very practical or economical (electricity usage).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.