Hi...What limitations, if any, can I expect with this OS?

Reaction score
Hi, my name is not Fred and I'm a PC user. I'm very intrigued about Macs since buying and loving an iPad. Wanting to get more familiar with the Mac world, I just bid on and won a PowerBook on eBay. It is a 1.33 ghz G4 with OS X 10.5.8 and it has been Upgraded from 256 to 768 of RAM. Now, I'm not a very tech savvy guy, and I want to eventually buy a nice shiny new Mac one day soon, but until then, what limitations can I expect with this machine? I would like to get that new app store that everyones talking about, and be able to do most of the things I currently do on my PC on this Mac. I read that you need an Intel Processor to even install the app store, and I don't see where the processor in this PowerBook is an Intel, so if that is the case, can someone tell me what I can do to upgrade this? I don't like the way PCs constantly make themselves obsolete, and I would like to have a machine that can be upgraded for a feasible price, rather than buy a new PC every year or two... Anyway, thanks for any and all help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The PowerBook is a great laptop but unfortunately its like almost every laptop out there
other than the hard drive and ram thats the extent to the upgrade. The future seems to be
in Intel for compatibility and OS upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The processor is an Apple one; PPC. As far as I know you can't upgrade, certainly not to an Intel one as the OS wouldn't take it. You also need Snow Leopard for the App store, which needs an Intel processor.

Use it to familiarise yourself with the OS, and then buy an Intel machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The processor is an Apple one; PPC.

PPC was codeveloped by Motorola and IBM. This is a common misconception. The PPC architecture is still used in many computing platforms, and was not exclusive to Apple.

As far as I know you can't upgrade, certainly not to an Intel one as the OS wouldn't take it.

It's not the OS - 10.4 and 10.5 both supported Intel and PPC. The big difference is the supporting chipset and EFI (firmware).

You also need Snow Leopard for the App store, which needs an Intel processor.

Use it to familiarise yourself with the OS, and then buy an Intel machine.

Great advice, sorry to pick nits on the other two points. Just wanted to clarify...

C

chas_m

I had until recently a 1.25GHz G4 iBook and it was a great little machine.

NotFred, you should find that your G4 is able to do all the "basics" slowly but just fine. If it's easy to do so, I'd recommend maxing out the RAM: not expensive and makes a difference.

Stay away from anything having to do with HD video or 3D gaming, and of course there's less and less software available for PPC-based Macs every day, but it could very well be a good workhorse computer for you -- it was for me for almost six years, and it is still running today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I just got a g4 ibook 1.2/512 about 10 days ago and really love every minute spent with it, it is so much better than any windows system its not funny. I have plans to upgrade the ram to 1.25gb but even if i dont it is just about perfect the way it is!

C

chas_m

I'm pleased to hear people say they are enjoying their six-year-old (plus!) Macs, but as for limitations -- well, it's a six-year-old (or more) machine. Today's modern Flash videos are going to be choppy, some services just won't work at all, and there is rapidly diminishing new software for machines that old as you'd expect.

That said, there's a lot of good software still around for them, and they can do most of the basic online and offline tasks pretty well, not fast enough for power users but good enough for normal people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
NotFred consider the PowerBook to be similar to say a Dell Latitude P4 1.6GHz processor running XP, and that will give you idea of where the PowerBook sits. Still plenty you can do with both machines but they are a little slow compared to newer Dual Core machines naturally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.