web browser problems . .

Reaction score
My work has a website that has mouse over pull down menus (drag mouse over the title and down pops a list.)

Every web browser I have downloaded and tried has 1 of 2 problems;
1, the mouse over doesn't work (drag over and list doesn't pop down)
2, the mouse over works, the list comes down but clicking a sub link doesn't work.

web browsers I tried were: safari, opera, netscape, ie, firefox, camino, and google chrome. I think that was all of them. Even tried multiple versions of some of them.

Any advice? Is there a patch or add on to any of the browsers that might get it working?

Thank you in advance.
Justin

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If this site is publicly accessible, do you have the URL so that we can try it ourself? Have you tried using the same version of a browser on your Mac that you use at work?

OP
N
Reaction score
No it is not a public site, name and password to get to the screen that is having problems.

The newest version of IE is what is usually used, opera also works. But those are both on pc platform.

Is there a real time recording program I could use to show what exactly it is doing?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Opera is cross platform and is supported equally across platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux and I believe FreeBSD). Have you tried using Opera on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It was probably designed by someone who has only ever heard of IE, which is why it doesn't work with other browsers.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok I made a mistake. Opera almost works. I posted a quick vid, the mouse over works on opera and I can click on the sub links, but it doesn't work with firefox. The problem with opera is on one of the pull down menus later as shown in the video. I am starting to think mightygen is correct and it is programed for pc and its something mac cant figure out.
If anyone can think of anything to make opera work on the pull down menu, or know something that would let firefox work on the first pull down menus, any sugestions would be welcome.
Beginning to loose hope here hehe.
Thanks for the help.

YouTube - My First Project.m4v

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem won't be OS specific unless the site was designed for IE in which case it will be OS specific (seeing as how Windows is the only supported platform for IE). If it works for you in a browser on Windows that is available for OS X, the odds of it working in that same browser are very good.

If you can contact the person who designed the page, ask them if it was tested with browsers other than IE. If it wasn't and is known to work with only IE, you may be out of luck. You would then have to look into using IE through CrossOver or running it through a Windows virtual machine (or Boot Camp).

OP
N
Reaction score
disclaimer i did not research this . . .

i semi know what crossover and a virtual machine is. Since this webpage is the only thing that it seems I need a PC OS for, is there an easy way to set it up where its just like starting an app. I don't want to do boot camp because I don't want to use windows.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.