• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad 2 Screen Likely to Have 2048x1536 resolution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iPad 2 Screen Likely to Have 2048x1536 resolution - MacRumors Forums

Oh my!! That is ridiculous! This means I could be able to run AirDisplay windowing my mac at full resolution.....I can have my macbook pro in my ipad!! ...just breathe....everything will be okkk...

This is too good to be true. If this is true, Apple is seeking to bury their competition that *directly* competes with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If this is true, Apple is seeking to bury their competition that *directly* competes with them.
I think that's the idea. Apple I think really want people to think the only netbook or tablet you need is the ipad. And they want to prove this with the specs. And if this is true then this ipad v2 will have more dpi then my imac. Like ***? My imac from 2006 is 1440x900. So in 5 years portable devices that fit in your hand have a more dpi.

And I would not be surprised in one day the macbook and the ipad product lines merge into one beautiful product. My prediction (probably wrong :) ) for this is 2020. Because even now Apple is challenging people to rethink what they traditional think as a portable computer. And that's why Apple is so good. The others just copy existing ideas or just upgrade them. Apple innovate. Yes the ideas are not 100% Apples I agree. But they take the ideas and move them in ways most people could have never though.

And another Apple skill is their marketing department. They make you think you can't not live without the new Apple product that you didn't know existed just last year.

On the opposite side of the fence, can these resolution screens be made cheaply enough for ipad use? As they currently are pretty expensive. Some people are calling this rumour lies due to the high cost os the screens. I think only time will tell.

And if this is possible could the world make enough of these screens for the demand. Would the supply be there?

Here is an article with proof that this insane resolution might just be true.
http://rafeed.me/2011/01/14/wood-tile2x-png-in-ibooks-1-2-hints-at-2x-ipad-2-resolution/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iPad 2 Screen Likely to Have 2048x1536 resolution - MacRumors Forums

This would be an outrageous resolution. The iPad's current resolution is 1024-by-768...2048x1536 for the iPad 2.0 would be very interesting...but darn...one of the best features of the current iPad is larger text for reading.

I haven't done the dpi calculation...but 2048x1536 on a 9.7" display would almost seem to make the text & other graphics to be as teeny as it is on the iPod Touch & iPhone!

- Nick

Reaction score
I seriously doubt this is true. High resolutions like that work well on monitors where stuff is browsed through windows... but unless the iPad abandons it's "full-screen" mentality the web would look awful...

As it is right now, the internet is not ready for such high resolutions... apps and games would be fine, but the web would not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I seriously doubt this is true. High resolutions like that work well on monitors where stuff is browsed through windows... but unless the iPad abandons it's "full-screen" mentality the web would look awful...

As it is right now, the internet is not ready for such high resolutions... apps and games would be fine, but the web would not.

Actually the argument is the exact opposite. That games would not be so good at the high resolutions. I'll explain.

Having the web in full screen in your hand is a wonderful thing. It looks schmiko. Really good. And having it windowed on an ipad is a waste is pixels. Cause it's not like you can click on a background app bring it to the front, work there for a bit then move back to the browser as you can do on OS X. It's about best use of the pixels. And a full screen web experience for iOS seems to work well now.

Secondly Apple on the whole does not use independent resolution graphics. That's why this specific resolution was rumoured 2048x1536. It's a direct multiple of the current ipad resolution. So old ipad apps could just be pixel doubled to work fine. having the new ipad 2 ad a weird resolution would mean a lot more hassle for the developers to make apps that fit the new weird resolution. Having to re-write much of their app code.

And the question is would the new ipad have the gpu grunt to display 3d rendered images (often found in games) on this new high resolution screen? We just don't know. Maybe they'll have most apps at the new native resolution and the 3d games at a lower (but directly scaled) resolution.

And if you remember the Lion announcement, Apple is moving to full screen apps on OS X too. Well the option to run things full screen. I'd really like this if I got decent onscreen notifications if my other now hidden background apps had activity. A little off topic bot that's be nice for iOS too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This would be an outrageous resolution. The iPad's current resolution is 1024-by-768...2048x1536 for the iPad 2.0 would be very interesting...but darn...one of the best features of the current iPad is larger text for reading.

I haven't done the dpi calculation...but 2048x1536 on a 9.7" display would almost seem to make the text & other graphics to be as teeny as it is on the iPod Touch & iPhone!

Why would it do that? When they quadrupled the pixel density on the iPhone 4, the text didn't become teeny. iOS is designed to account for that and simply tells everything to use a larger font. I can't imagine why it'd be any different on the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

That's not really true. Things can be scaled to make them usable.

The web actually became more usable when they quadrupled the resolution on the iPhone 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. That. Is. Sick! Our desktops don't even do resolutions like that! I would have never given any credence to this rumor, or the possibility that Apple would even consider it despite everyone clamoring for it since the iPhone 4, simply due to the processing power it'd take to render anything at the resolution. But with iBooks actually showing hard evidence of it like this? Man oh man… wow! I've not taken to using our iPad as a book reader because the pixels just aren't sharp enough for my liking to do that, but this is a whole new ballgame here.

What I imagine is going to happen here is that the more graphically intense apps will stick to the existing resolution since they will scale perfectly and look the same as they do now. I seriously doubt the hardware will be powerful enough to drive Rage or Infinity Blade at the doubled resolution. But simpler things with pre-rendered graphics and text should be able to make the jump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
That is impressive. But my question is, how is the battery going to handle this? It will drain like an unplugged since. Sure a more efficient, powerful processor would help, but they definitely will ned a larger battery, or a more power effiecient iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would it do that? When they quadrupled the pixel density on the iPhone 4, the text didn't become teeny. iOS is designed to account for that and simply tells everything to use a larger font. I can't imagine why it'd be any different on the iPad.

You're right...I was assuming the same "ppi" (pixels per inch). If Apple was to increase the ppi on the new iPad...then 2048x1536 on a 9.7" display might not be too bad (smoother/sharper images/text without too much shrinkage).

Just for fun...here are the iPhone 3G & iPhone 4 specs:

- iPhone 3G: Display 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
- iPhone 4: Display 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi

Apple - iPhone 3GS - Size, weight, battery life, and other specs
Apple - iPhone 4 - Size, weight, battery life, and other specs

Current iPad specs are:

- iPad 1.0: Display 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

So 2048x1536 on iPad 2.0 would be 264 pixels per inch (ppi)...which would be somewhat less than the 326 ppi on the iPhone 4.

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Everyone complained about how small the text/images would be on the iphone4, but I don't think anyone is really complaining. I have a feeling a 10 inch screen with 2000x1500 would make all the text, and images look real sharp, and reduce the need to have to scroll the image around due to a page not fitting on the screen.

I can't wait for further specs now...

So 2048x1536 on iPad 2.0 would be 264 pixels per inch (ppi)...which would be somewhat less than the 326 ppi on the iPhone 4.

- Nick

And as I have been reading, Apple went with the lower dpi because you normally hold the ipad farther away than an iphone, so the smaller dpi might come in favor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, the iPad 2's pixel density would be somewhat less, as it is now vs the older iPhones, BUT… will Apple still call it a Retina Display? Recall that Jobs says it is so named based on a typical viewing distance, and the typical viewing distance of an iPad is a little bit further away than that of an iPhone.

One other fun fact… we keep reading that the ppi is doubled, but that is in each axis, or linearly. The actual areal density is quadrupled. For each square inch, there are 4x the number of pixels as before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And as I have been reading, Apple went with the lower dpi because you normally hold the ipad farther away than an iphone, so the smaller dpi might come in favor.

"dpi" vs. "ppi" usage.;)

DPI and PPI Explained
Difference Between DPI and PPI

I know that "dpi" has been used for MANY years to describe the resolution of computer displays...but according to one of the linked articles..."dpi" is really a "printer" related term...and "ppi" (which we seem to be seeing Apple using more often now) is more of a display/monitor term.

- Nick

p.s. I'm learning/trying to be more careful with this distinction as well.:)

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
"dpi" vs. "ppi" usage.;)

DPI and PPI Explained
Difference Between DPI and PPI

I know that "dpi" has been used for MANY years to describe the resolution of computer displays...but according to one of the linked articles..."dpi" is really a "printer" related term...and "ppi" (which we seem to be seeing Apple using more often now) is more of a display/monitor term.

- Nick

p.s. I'm learning/trying to be more careful with this distinction as well.:)

My bad :p you know what I meant...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad :p you know what I meant...

Yes I knew...it totally wasn't my intention to give you a hard time:)

Just a great chance to mention the differences between dpi vs. ppi...which I'm becoming more familiar with as well. Since I'm also MUCH more familiar with the historical computer industry usage (correct or not correct) of the term "dpi".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'm hoping they release a second iPad, while continuing the current model, with the new iPad being 11-12" at 2048x1536. A moderate price cut (~$50) for the continued model would go along well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hoping they release a second iPad, while continuing the current model, with the new iPad being 11-12" at 2048x1536. A moderate price cut (~$50) for the continued model would go along well.

How about with whipped cream & a cherry on top as well!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
How about with whipped cream & a cherry on top as well!;)

- Nick

I guess if we're dreaming, we might as well dream big! I'll take two cherries!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess if we're dreaming, we might as well dream big! I'll take two cherries!

Glad you got my meaning/humor.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.