Using installer in terminal to automate installs

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new on Mac Forums so nice to meet you all!

I work in an environment where we install software on Macs all day long and presently we dont use any automation.

I am looking to get the installers automated so i can remove the need of clicking i agree, next and so on...

I found some info indicating that one can use installer within the terminal to install software. The info i found was very vague so i dont currently have any examples to go with.

My test attempt is using a canon IP3600 printer driver for my installation software.

At present i have extracted the files from the dmg into a test directory.

from reading the man pages for installer i tried the following but i seem to be missing something as it doesnt apear to be working.

I changed the directory to the folder where the pkg is located and in the command line i added to the terminal was the following:

Code:
sudo installer -pkg PrinterDriver3600.pkg -target /Volumes/Macintosh \HD

Am i even on the right track? i assume what i am trying to do is possible?

its worth pointing out that the printer driver is an example ogf things we install but the range of items we install is quite big, office for mac, adobe applciations/ suites etc..

i hope someone can give me some pointers or maybe someone has some examples of how to use the installer in terminal successfully?

Thanks in advance

Nivlem

OP
N
Reaction score
Fixed

Ok all i have worked out the problem.

the command i was usign was correct but the issue was my user(admin) had no password set.

So even though i was using sudo and it was prompting for a password, i was pressing enter as it was BLANK. then nothing happened.

i have set a password and now the commad installs the driver silently(no user interaction)

Suprised to get no replies but to be fair i have never used this forum, maybe i will find more luck in the future.

Thanks

Nivlem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.